Important Update on COVID Regulations
Reopening and Step One
Ontario is moving to Step One in the province’s Reopening plan effective Friday June 11th, 2021, at 12:01am. While this allows a little more flexibility in activities it continues to maintain several layers of restrictions as COVID remains a serious issue in our province.
We are excited to see the province progress to Step One of Reopening. Sailing, as an outdoor sport, is allowed several opportunities that many activities, businesses and other organizations are not yet permitted.
Some of the things that are permitted for sailing and boating clubs with conditions are:
- Clubs can be open as long as the maximum capacity ensures 2m distancing can take place. We know every location differs greatly in this area.
- The only portions of inside the club buildings that can be open are washrooms, first aid areas or spaces to access these specific areas. Staff (or designated volunteers) can access areas to support repairs, docking or launching of boats and watercraft.
- Recreational boating can happen with household groups. Boat owners are responsible to ensure that everyone on board their boat at any time is from the same household. (In addition to direct household members, caregivers or an individual who lives alone can join one household group).
- Sailing schools that operate programs classified as Day Camps (programs for children and youth offered for full days for a minimum of one week) are permitted to operate as long as they operate within the guidelines provided by the Ministry of Health.
- Training for individuals doing singlehanded sailing can occur within distancing and other limitations.
- Formal recreational instruction can take place as long as 2m distancing is maintained.
- Organized public events and social gatherings are limited to 10 people and outside only.
It is important to understand that the following is currently not permitted under the Province of Ontario’s Provincial Regulations:
- Racing – no competition of any kind is currently allowed in Ontario for any sport or activity.
- Being on a boat with people outside of your household for recreational boating or being within 2m of other people within structured programs offered by the club.
- Note that the level of vaccination of the individuals involved in any activity has no bearing on what is permitted under the provincial Regulations
Clubs have been provided with details and support to navigate the many limitations and requirements around the above permitted activities. Ontario Sailing staff will continue to work to update your club leadership as the situation progresses so they can make decisions appropriate to your unique situation.
Stay Safe and Please Follow the Regulations.
Please Note: Ontario Sailing does not set any COVID-19-related regulations or restrictions regarding your activities. We are sharing publicly available information regarding Provincial laws. Each organization’s board is responsible for understanding your organization’s legal situation, managing the risks, making decisions on how to proceed, and managing any consequences; Ontario Sailing takes no responsibility for your reliance on the information we provide in our COVID-19-related communications.