2020-21 budget adopted, tax rate approval set for later date
Trustees approved the 2020-21 Northwest ISD budget, which begins July 1, 2020, and ends June 30, 2021. Because of state law, the tax rate will be adopted at a future meeting in August, 2020.
Northwest ISD’s 2020-21 General Fund budget totals $256 million, compared to $242.2 million for the 2019-20 year. The district expects to add roughly 1,000 students during the school year, and the majority of the budget increase is the result of staffing and associated costs to meet growth needs.
The district will set its tax rate in August based on figures provided by the Texas Education Agency. While the district does not yet know the rate, it will decrease as part of state-mandated tax rate compression.
Student Code of Conduct approved
As part of the annual approval process of the Student Code of Conduct, trustees approved the document prior to a vote on its changes for the new school year.
Each year, revisions are made to the documents as needed, largely to stay updated on district changes, such as appropriate contact information. Other revisions include updates as recommended by the Texas Association of School Boards, typically made to stay updated on changing state or federal requirements.
Reports, discussions addressed by board
District leadership presented the following subjects to the board as a report or discussion:
- Investment Report – May
- Facilities, Planning and Construction
- 2019-20 District Improvement Plan Summary
To view reports or discussion presentations from board meetings,
In other action, the board
- Approved a lease agreement with Texas Health Resources at the Northwest ISD Aquatic Center. This area of the center is being constructed as part of a partnership to provide orthopedic, rehabilitation, student learning and other services.
- Approved instructional agreements with Dallas County Community College District – El Centro College and Tarrant County College for dual credit.
- Approved an extension of the superintendent’s contract for an additional year.