Dear Kind Supporters,
All of us at Nourish Now are excited about the positive steps we continue to take in our mission to end food waste and hunger in our community. So much has happened in our brief history, and in less than six weeks Nourish Now will officially be four years old! We are celebrating this occasion with our
Annual Fundraising Gala
"A Night in Vegas!"
in Bethesda at
4935 Bar and Kitchen
, one of our distinguished food donors.
Our goal is to recover and redistribute 400,000 pounds of food by the date of the gala on June 6th.
We are less than 25,000 pounds away from this feat!
This celebration represents how following a simple dream can blossom into a full fledged operation. In 2011, I began recovering food to donate to people in need in Montgomery County. Four years later, our efforts at Nourish Now provide food assistance to over 3,000 people on a monthly basis and donate over 100,000 pounds of food per year. It is only by your unending support that we are able to continuously work year round to reduce as much food waste as possible, to alleviate hunger for as many community residents as possible. We would love for you to join us on this special evening to reflect on the path that brought us where we are today.
For more information about the upcoming fundraiser, please see below. All proceeds from this event will feed Nourish Now's efforts to provide assistance for 15,000 people throughout the summer and beyond!
We look forward to expanding our reach on this journey to bring food security to Montgomery County. Thank you all! Enjoy the beautiful spring weather!
Executive Director of Nourish Now
Tickets are now available for our 4th annual fundraising gala, "A Night in Vegas!" As our biggest annual event, we anticipate sharing this evening of merriment with the community all year.
Attractions include Vegas style table games, silent auction, raffles, prizes, cocktails and delicious food. This year's "A Night in Vegas!" event will be held at 4935 Bar & Kitchen in Bethesda on June 6th from 7pm till 11pm. All proceeds benefit Nourish Now's efforts to end food waste and hunger in Montgomery County, Maryland and beyond!
Click here for Directions to 4935 Bar & Kitchen. There will be free parking in the Montgomery County Garage directly across the street from the restaurant.
^^ click for tickets ^^
We have begun announcing Event Sponsors for this year's fundraising gala through social media and our website. Diamond Sponsors include Burness Communications and DARCARS. Platinum Sponsors include Alliance Material Handling, Emil Ross & Lauren Silfen, Capital ONE, Smithfield Foods, and VisArts at Rockville. Gold Sponsors are The Tower Companies and Wei Mortgage Corporation, and Silver Sponsors are Lori & Arnie Horwitz, The Progress Club, and Whole Foods Market.
Thanks so much to these sponsors who have already signed on for the event! Each year this party gets bigger and better, and we only have the support of our community and generous local businesses to thank. Nourish Now is seeking further sponsorship for "A Night in Vegas!" If you or your business is interested, please contact us at email@example.com or 301.330.0222.
Thanks to everyone who joined us for
Fashion to End Food Waste on March 8th. Local
celebrity-favorite fashion designer
and Senior Stylist for
Stella & Dot Mary Gies
held a sample sale and trunk show benefiting Nourish Now and our efforts
to end hunger and food waste in Montgomery County, MD and beyond!
On Wednesday, February 25th
VisArts at Rockville
Empty Bowls 2015
, a fundraiser benefiting Nourish Now. Empty Bowls is an international grassroots effort to help fight hunger. VisArts resident artist
and ceramics students created hundreds of handcrafted bowls for guests of the event as a reminder of all of the empty bowls in the world. Soup, salad, bread and deserts were provided through donations from Cafe Deluxe, Catering by Seasons, Campus Kitchens (UMES), Sol Azteca, and Vignola Gourmet.
VisArts donated all of the clay, glazes, studio time, and firing costs to
support the work of Kate and VisArts ceramic students.
Guests visited the studios and galleries, and met the artists who put the event (...and the bowls) together.
Local music artist
(singer-songwriter of the band
) provided acoustic entertainment for the evening.
Thanks to those who attended and supported this collaboration, making the event a great success! Special thanks to VisArts at Rockville, Kate Westfall and Heirloom Pottery Studios for organizing this special fundraiser, which helps to fuel future food recovery missions, and filling the bowls of those in need in Montgomery County!
|Meet our new food donor Logan's Sausages. On March 2nd, they made a large first donation of 440 pounds of sausages! See Brett below, posing with the goods.
Logan's Sausages is based in Alexandria, VA, and their products can be found in most major and independent grocery stores in Maryland, DC and Virginia. So please patron local businesses like Logan's that do what they can to make a difference in their communities.
Recipe of the Month
Savory Baked Apples
- 2/3 cup fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
- 1/3 cup apple cider
- 4 large Rome apples, cored
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter, melted and divided
- 1 (4-ounce) link sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
- 3/4 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 1/3 cup finely chopped carrot
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 3 tablespoons minced green onions
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rubbed sage
- 1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup uncooked brown rice
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Bring broth to a boil in a saucepan. Stir in rice. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 50 minutes. Remove from heat. Let stand 10 minutes.
- Combine cranberries and cider in a microwave-safe bowl; microwave at HIGH 1 minute. Let stand for 10 minutes. Add mixture to rice.
- Using a small spoon, carefully scoop out centers of apples, leaving a 1/2-inch-thick shell, and chop apple flesh. Brush the inside of apples with 1 tablespoon butter. Place apples on a baking sheet, and bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until just tender.
- Preheat broiler to high.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausage, and sauté 5 minutes, stirring to crumble. Remove from pan; drain. Wipe skillet, and melt remaining butter in pan. Add chopped apple, yellow onion, and next 3 ingredients (through pepper); sauté 4 minutes. Add garlic; sauté for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add sausage, onion mixture, walnuts, and next 3 ingredients (through sage) to rice; toss. Divide rice mixture evenly among apples; top with cheese. Broil for 5 minutes or until golden.
Cooking Light, NOVEMBER 2011