TIME CHANGES TONIGHT
FALL BACK ONE HOUR
November 1st, 2020
Community of Grace!
We exist to WIN, DEVELOP, & DEPLOY equipped followers of Christ to go out and do the same.
Please click here to submit prayer requests, praises, newcomer information, or update your contact information.
FAITH that Works
“My brothers and sisters, believers in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ must not show favoritism. 2 Suppose a man comes into your meeting wearing a gold ring and fine clothes, and a poor man in filthy old clothes also comes in.3 If you show special attention to the man wearing fine clothes and say, “Here’s a good seat for you,” but say to the poor man, “You stand there” or “Sit on the floor by my feet,” 4 have you not discriminated among yourselves and become judges with evil thoughts?
5 Listen, my dear brothers and sisters: Has not God chosen those who are poor in the eyes of the world to be rich in faith and to inherit the kingdom he promised those who love him? 6 But you have dishonored the poor. Is it not the rich who are exploiting you? Are they not the ones who are dragging you into court? 7 Are they not the ones who are blaspheming the noble name of him to whom you belong?
8 If you really keep the royal law found in Scripture, “Love your neighbor as yourself,” you are doing right. 9 But if you show favoritism, you sin and are convicted by the law as lawbreakers. 10 For whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles at just one point is guilty of breaking all of it. 11 For he who said, “You shall not commit adultery,” also said, “You shall not murder.” If you do not commit adultery but do commit murder, you have become a lawbreaker.12 Speak and act as those who are going to be judged by the law that gives freedom, 13 because judgment without mercy will be shown to anyone who has not been merciful. Mercy triumphs over judgment. James 2:1-13 NIV
Favoritism: an ___________________ problem (vs. 1-7)
Favoritism: a ______________________ issue (vs. 8-11)
Favoritism: a call to _________________ (vs. 12-13)
Use the following game plan with your family, LifeGroup, or personal study this week. Allow this game plan to stimulate conversations with each other and with God.
Game Plan This Week:
- Review the sermon
o What were the main points?
o What points were most meaningful to you?
- Study/discuss the text
o Have you ever been subjected to favoritism by someone else? How did it make
o How does the truthy of James 2:5 both encourage and humble you?
o In light of God’s mercy to us, is there anyone to whom you need to extend mercy
- Why does showing mercy depend on receiving mercy, and how does the message
of the gospel fit into this?
- How does care for the poor in our community and around the world affect our
- What are some ways in which James’s teaching mirrors the ministry and teaching
of Jesus in the Gospels?
- How do you want the group to be praying for you this week?
- This week make a commitment to sit down often with God and discuss favoritism.
o Are there instances where you are showing favoritism towards others?
o Are there instances where you are being subjected to favoritism? Ask God to give
you wisdom and the strength to love, show kindness and grace.
Communion: We will observe the Lord's supper on Nov 15th.
Trunk or Treat: October 31st, 2020, 5:00pm-6:00pm. (TONIGHT)
Here some guidelines for us to follow to help make sure the event is enjoyable for everyone:
- If you are decorating a vehicle, be on site by 4:45 pm on Oct 31. You can come as early as you need to decorate and setup your vehicle. If you want to hand out treats without decorating a vehicle, we welcome the extra treats for the kids and ask you to also be on site by 4:45 pm.
- We are recommending face masks be worn by everyone attending.
- We are asking you to keep decorations and costumes in good taste and kid friendly.
- Treats must be store purchased/sealed. No homemade treats.
- Those who are handing out treats and cannot maintain 6' social distancing are required to wear a face mask and gloves to help protect themselves and our guests. COG has face masks and gloves if needed.
If you would like to be creative with handing out candy to maintain social distancing, use something like this "candy chute".
- If you are not decorating a vehicle and are coming for the event, please park on Flanders Street. The parking lot will be closed off to traffic at 4:45 pm for the safety of everyone.
- We will have prizes for the best decorated vehicles as well as the best carved pumpkins. Bring your pumpkins already carved and displayed for our judges.
- Have fun! Be welcoming and inviting to those we interact with during the event.
Let's make this a great opportunity to get to know our community. If you have any questions, email Pastor Chris.
Homeless Blanket Distribution:
Anyone who would like to help distribute blankets to the homeless this Sunday, November 1st, 2020, at 12:30 pm, please contact Carol Bryan at 303-522-2293.
New Members Class: November 1st, 2020, 1:00pm in North Building. If you have been with us for a while and would like to become a member of our church, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to R.S.V.P.
Operation Christmas Child: It is time to start building boxes for Operation Christmas Child. We have 250 boxes to fill with toys, school supplies, hygiene items, etc. to help out kids around the globe. COG is also going to help at the distribution center on Dec 4th from 6-10pm. There are spots for 40 people and Covid-19 rules will be followed. Volunteers must be at least 13 years old. You can pick up boxes in the foyer starting October 18th and boxes must be back by Nov 22nd. If you have questions or want to sign up for a volunteer spot, email Mitty Spidell. You can also learn more about Operation Christmas Child by going to their website.
COG KIDS ANNOUNCEMENT
We are so excited to be reopening kids ministry! Kids are welcome to sign up, wear a mask and join us for a fun morning of Bible learning, games and activities! Email or text Nancy with questions (email@example.com or 303-305-8310).
Started - Nursery and Preschool aged kids.
Nov. 1st - Elementary aged children will start back.
Sign up today so we can ensure we have a spot for you!
Sunday Prayer Time: The COG prayer team is gathering outside, in the parking lot, weather permitting, at COG each Sunday at 9:15 am - 9:45 am to pray before worship service. Please bring your own chair. You can email Kathleen Chandler if you have any questions.
Last Week: $5430.00
Year To Date Giving: $403,638.05
Year To Date Budget: $435,211.92
Steve Veteto: 303-517-9833
Bob Cale: 303-378-1903
Kyle Kane: 719-338-3378
Andrew Reeves: 720-355-6385
Roger Chandler: 719-964-9088
Joel Bundick: 720-231-1838
Tom Wager: 605-769-0255
Tom King: 303-506-5551
Kevin Fisher: 316-218-2583