First Christian Church – Lafayette
September 30, 2018
The congregation of First Christian Church – Lafayette was called to order in a special meeting in the sanctuary by Mike Rubesch, Chr. at 11:05am, Sunday, September 30 2018. More than 85 people were present.
The specific purpose of the called meeting was to act on a unanimous recommendation from the September 25, 2018 General Board meeting regarding the following motion:
“Members of the General Board of First Christian Church of Lafayette who were present at the 9/25 Board meeting unanimously accepted the motion from the Pastoral Search Committee and recommend to the Congregation that First Christian Church of Lafayette extend a formal call to Pastor Andrew Guthrie to be our next Senior Minister.”
Chr. Rubesch detailed the procedure for calling a new Senior Minister, as defined in the Constitution of First Christian Church, approved November 17, 2013 under ARTICLE XIII, SECTION B.
Sandie Hauser, Search Committee, Chr. then detailed the steps, time-line, and procedures followed by the Search Committee from April 11, 2018 thru September 17, 2018, to receive, review and select today’s candidate from among the 15 applicants.
Sandie Hauser then named and called forward the Search Committee members and asked those who wanted, to review some highlights and observations of today’s candidate. Members of the Search Committee spoke regarding their impressions, thoughts, and observations obtained from the intense vetting process.
Following several comments, Sandie then introduced to the Congregation, Rev. Andrew Guthrie as the candidate for the Congregation to consider calling as their next Senior Minister for First Christian Church - Lafayette.
Rev. Guthrie was invited to speak. He told the congregation about his background, thoughts, experiences, mission trips, His call to ministry, churches he has served, being a part of the community, why First Christian Church – Lafayette is a good fit for him, his strengths, his hobbies, and what he loves to do to learn and expand his knowledge base.
The Congregation was then challenged to ask pertinent questions.
- What are some of your weaknesses? Organizing my desk, papers and office space.
- What are some of your hobbies and how do you deal with church conflict issues? Cooking, Sports, and expressing ideas on paper. Being cool under fire, working thru problem issues with thought and not on the fly.
- How do you deal with resistance (we have always done it that way) to change in your church? I would suggest, Let’s try it for a while to see how it works. If it does not work to our expectations, then we can go back to the way it was. At the same time, I would want us to carefully think this through before we act on it.
- What is your relationship with your parents? It is pretty good; like most we have some unresolved issues and conflicts. My parents have supported me through college with $$$ and I have love for them always.
- What would you like to do to get church and community together? That is a difficult question for me at this point being that I am not familiar with this specific community. However, it often becomes, does the community become involved with the church or does the church become involved with the community?
- And finally, a personal comment from an older long-time member, “I hope you won’t let us old folks scare and stop you in your ministry here at our church!”
At this point Rev. Guthrie and Pastor Hayes left the sanctuary. Chr. Rubesch then asked if there were other questions that needed to be addressed? Hearing none, the printed paper ballots as noted above, were distributed for action by the congregation present.
The Constitution specifies that a two-thirds majority is required to approve a call for a minister.
The tally of the Congregation Members “present and voting” was 84 in favor, two abstaining, and one opposed, so the motion passed. First Christian Church - Lafayette will be calling the Rev Andrew Guthrie as our new Senior Minister. His first day will be Monday, January 7, 2019 and his first worship service will be Sunday January 13, 2019. By the same token, the last worship service for Pastor Phillip Hayes will be Sunday, December 30, 2018. Rev. Brian Nelson will lead the transition worship service on Sunday January 6, 2019.
Being no further business to transact, those present were invited to partake of a delicious lunch provided by the CWF in Fellowship Hall to afford everyone a personal opportunity to meet and get acquainted with our new Senior Minister, Rev. Andrew Guthrie.
A closing prayer was led by Mike Rubesch, General Board Chr., and followed by a motion to adjourn, by Cindy Lindstrom, seconded by Louise McDole and passed unanimously.
Respectfully recorded and submitted by, Norman D. Long, Secretary
PS…. For those persons unable to attend the congregational meeting and would like to listen to the proceedings, copies of the CD containing the complete recording can be obtained from the Church office.