Fiscal Year 2018 Budget
The Township Board adopted the budget for Fiscal Year 2018 – which begins on January 1st.
The total budget revenue within all twelve (12) funds is projected at $11.73 million with total budget expenditures estimated at $12.82 million. (Revenues for the pathway expansion were received in Fiscal Year 2017 – but, construction will not be completed until FY 2019, which is the main reason for this difference of revenues and expenditures.)
The budget is “balanced” – especially considering that the total fund balances or cash reserves will exceed↑ $9.25 million at the end of FY 2018.
It is important to remember that although GHT adopts a single budget resolution each year, the total budget is actually twelve (12) separate budgets … one for each of the Township’s funds. With few exceptions, monies from one fund cannot be transferred to other funds, unless there is a specific service received. For example, cash reserves from the Sewer Fund cannot be used to purchase a fire apparatus for the Fire/Rescue Fund.
Some of the noteworthy items included in the budget include:
- Resurface 1.7 miles of subdivision roads ($340,000)
- Re-gravel 5.8 miles of rural gravel roads ($232,000 with 50% paid by the Road Commission)
- Provide three dust control treatments to 19 miles of rural gravel roads ($33,000)
- Resurface 0.86 miles of pathway ($215,000)
- Construct 3.5 miles of new pathway ($1,739,000)
- Install two altitude valves to assist with the filling of the water tanks ($215,000)
- Up-size 840 feet of water main along Brucker Avenue ($180,000)
- Hold three elections (i.e., school, primary and gubernatorial) ($95,000)
- Provide fire and rescue services ($1,184,000)
- Financially support the Harbor Transit on-demand bus service ($396,000)
- Contract for police protection through the Ottawa County Sheriff’s Department ($450,000)
- Purchase of 670 million gallons of water through NOWS and Grand Rapids ($585,000)
- Treatment of 106 million gallons of waste water through the Grand Haven/Spring Lake Sewer Authority ($220,000)
A detailed review and explanation of the Township′s FY 2018 budget can be found within the November 13th Township Board packets at the following link: