The Governing Board of the Popular Culture Association has approved a new board position for a Digital Media Director. Details regarding this unpaid, non-voting position appear in the PCA bylaws. If you are interested in applying, please send your curriculum vitae to PCA President Kathy Merlock Jackson at
by midnight on August 1.
This new position, which we hope to fill immediately, will enable us to better communicate with and serve our members. The PCA bylaws state the following regarding the Digital Media Director:
11.1 Description of Position: The Digital Media Director serves as an ex-officio, non-voting member of the PCA Governing Board and as a liaison between the webmaster and the Board. Additionally, the Digital Media Director will oversee the PCA’s social media accounts.
11.2 Appointment and Term of Office: The Digital Media Director is appointed by the majority of the Governing Board on the recommendation of the President, after the President has selected a candidate according to 11.3. The President will recommend a PCA member in good standing that meets the qualifications outlined in 11.4. The term of office for the Digital Media Director is three years. The Digital Media Director will begin their term at the end of the PCA Annual National Conference of the year of the vacancy. Digital Media Directors may serve for two consecutive three-year terms but can be elected for two additional consecutive terms after a minimum of three intervening years.
Applications and Selection
11.3 Application and Selection of Candidate: When a vacancy for the position of Digital Media Director is to occur, the President, will solicit candidates through communication with the entire PCA membership no later than April (preferably to have the vacancy announced at the National Conference) of the year prior to the vacancy. Candidates will email their CV to the President no later than the end of June of the year prior to the vacancy. The President will, through reviewing CVs and, if desired, conducting interviews, select a candidate, from the current pool of candidates, to present to the Governing Board for approval at the mid-year meeting of the year prior to the vacancy. If the Governing Board does not approve the candidate, the President, from the current pool of candidates, will select an alternate candidate to present to the Governing Board for approval either at the mid-year meeting or via email vote.
11.4 Qualifications for Digital Media Director: To serve as Digital Media Director, an individual must have been a member of the PCA for two of the previous four years. Additionally, an individual must have educational and professional experience and expertise in digital and social media.
11.5 General Duties of the Digital Media Director: The Digital Media Director, as stated in 11.1, serves as a liaison between the webmaster and the Board, coordinates with the Executive Director, and oversees the PCA’s social media accounts. The Digital Media Director’s duties include the following:
1) Periodically review the PCA website, regarding its information and functioning, and recommend, if needed, updates to the PCA website;
2) Periodically review and, if needed, recommend updates to the PCA social media policy;
3) Educate members of the PCA, who use social media as representatives of the PCA, regarding the PCA social media policy;
4) Maintain a list of and periodically review all of the social media accounts that are used to officially represent the PCA;
5) Coordinate and connect with PCA areas and Regionals via social media accounts;
6) Share pertinent PCA information with PCA members via PCA social media accounts;
7) Share relevant PCA news and CFPs via PCA social media accounts;
8) Respond to questions on and about PCA social media accounts
9) Other duties may be assigned to the Digital Media Director as determined by the Governing Board. The authority of the Digital Media Director flows from the Governing Board. The Digital Media Director may also consult with the President, Governing Board members, or the Executive Director.
How to Apply:
If you are interested in applying, please send your curriculum vitae to PCA President Kathy Merlock Jackson at
by midnight on August 1, 2020.