Applications for temporary outdoor expansion areas are now live and being accepted
on the Choose Santa Cruz website here:
All program information is available here:
Also, we are recommending any businesses wishing to expand alcohol to outside spaces begin the authorization process with the
City Manager Martin Bernal authorized temporary use of approved public streets and outdoor areas to give restaurants and retail establishments more outdoor space to safely serve customers as they are allowed to reopen. Social distancing requirements for sidewalk vendors have also been established in the new executive orders signed.
- Expansion of retail and restaurant activity on sidewalks where 8ft of clearance is maintained
- Expansion of retail and restaurant activity into private parking lots
- Expansion of retail and restaurant activity into adjacent parking spaces where appropriate
- Street Closures and traffic modifications that allow for the expansion of retail and restaurant activity into public right-of-way where appropriate
- Expansion of retail and restaurant activity into alleyway
Executive Order 2020-11 is effective immediately, however businesses must comply with the requirements set forth in the signed executive order and receive a Temporary COVID-19 Outdoor Use Permit from the Economic Development Department before they may begin operating an expanded outdoor space. All applicants must agree to indemnify the City and provide a certificate of insurance for the expanded activity.
Executive Order 2020-12
establishes social distancing requirements consistent with state public health protocols related to reducing the spread of COVID-19 for sidewalk vendors and persons who operate display devices in the City, or conduct business on a street, sidewalk, park or beach which does not have a corresponding fixed business location operating out of a building on that street, sidewalk, park or beach.
Please do not hesitate to reach out to us directly as well.
Abra Allan, Interim Executive Director
Sonja Brunner, Operations Director and Membership Coordinator