|
2000, Sunday, July 30, 2023
JJ and I were up early; but were not in a rush. The wind forecast was for 10 to 15 out of the south, not the most helpful direction. It would be on our nose. So, we set our sights not too far afield. We thought we might try for Rogers Harbour on Kikertavak Island, a run of about 25 miles.
As we left Makkovik we were under power, going dead into the wind. After about two hours the engine again overheated! We quickly set sail and made the beat to weather the rest of the way to Rogers. However, the breeze continued to build to around 20 knots. There was also a heavy, long swell out of the east. Surf and breaking waves along the rocky coast were both spectacular and menacing. When we reached Rogers Harbour there was a line of white, frothy water across the narrow, east-facing entrance. We opted to continue on for Nunguaq Bight on the opposite end of Kikertavak (I like the Inuit place names).
We sailed around the island and up to the head of the bight and dropped anchor under sail, deciding not to use the engine until after more investigation. The photos above and below are of the verdant, rocky shores that surround us this evening, a lovely spot with good protection from the easterly blow. A few seals also seem to be roaming the bay yet keeping a distance. Actually, today's sail was quite wonderful. Towards the end as we were rounding Kikertavak, Tazzarin was touching 8.4 knots. Exhilarating!
Tomorrow we will have a headwind again and will continue our progress. As for the engine, we are suspecting that the leak may be coming from the pressure cap on the engine mounted coolant tank. The bilge does end up with coolant when the engine overheats. It all seems as if it should be more certain or easier to solve. It remains a bit elusive. We will get to the bottom of it.
Bill
|