Homemade PlayDough Recipe
This homemade playdough recipe is simple, natural, and perfect for any stay at home day. They might enjoy making it almost as much as they enjoy playing with it!
Reasons to love this playdough recipe:
- it's inexpensive
- lasts for months when properly stored
- you can customize your colors and other options
- it has great texture
- it's a fun project to keep your kids busy while still learning!
- 1 cup of flour (whatever kind you have on hand)
- ¼ cup of salt
- 1 Tbsp cream of tartar (optional)
- ½ cup of warm water
- 5 drops of food coloring
- Mix together the flour, salt, and cream of tartar.
- Mix together ½ cup of warm water with a few drops of food coloring.
- Slowly pour the water into the flour mixture, stirring as you pour. Stir until combined, then knead with your hands until the flour is completely absorbed. If the dough is too sticky, add more flour until it doesn't stick at all.
- Repeat process for whichever colors you want to make.
Mixing the food coloring with the water before combining with the dry ingredients allows you to blend them by stirring, without staining your hands.
Use kitchen utensils, popsicle sticks or items below to extend the play.
- Rolling pins
- Cookie cutters
- Mason jar rings
- Biscuit cutters
- you can also mix glitter in with your playdough