VIRGINIA BEACH – As work on the I-64/I-264 Interchange Improvements Project continues, contractor crews with the Virginia Department of Transportation have scheduled a series of closures of the on-ramp from Newtown Road to I-264 east.
Beginning as early as Saturday, March 20, through Friday, March 26, the on-ramp from Newtown Road to I-264 east will be closed periodically to allow crews to safely perform road-widening work for the interchange project.
Ramp closure timing is as follows:
- March 20-21 from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- March 22-26 from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
While the closure is in place, motorists are advised to seek alternate routes.
A signed detour will be in place directing motorists to:
- Travel from Newtown Road to merge onto I-264 west;
- Travel on I-264 west and use the interchange to access I-64 east (exit 14A); and
- Travel I-64 east and use the interchange to access I-264 east (exit 284B).
Motorists can also utilize Newtown Road, to Virginia Beach Boulevard and then Witchduck Road to access I-264 east.
This work is weather-dependent and subject to change.