NCOLCTL, in collaboration with ACTFL, will be organizing an ACTFL Online OPI Familiarization Workshop from April 3-28, 2023. Please note that this will be a limited seating event (25 Participants), with participants selected on a first-come, first-served basis.
The OPI Familiarization workshop provides a thorough overview of the ACTFL Proficiency Guidelines-Speaking, including the major levels, the ACTFL OPI and ways to incorporate proficiency into your classroom. This asynchronous virtual workshop, modified from the traditional in-person workshop and designed according to current research on virtual learning for adults, represents a 12-hour professional development experience. With this online format, participants will work asynchronously on the modules at their own pace, the course will be available virtually, from April 3 - 28, 2023.
Intended for all language professionals, this virtual workshop familiarizes participants with the ACTFL Proficiency Guidelines, ACTFL Rating Scale, and the ACTFL Oral Proficiency Interview. It features presentations by the ACTFL Director of Assessment and Research, Dr. Margaret Malone, examples of ACTFL OPIs conducted by ACTFL certified testers, as well as quizzes and activities that will solidify your understanding of each major proficiency level.
Participants will hear samples at each proficiency level and discuss the implications of proficiency for academic and professional purposes. All Participants will receive a certificate stating that they have accumulated 12 hours of professional development based on the course they choose. Workshop materials are provided electronically.
In order to complete the course and receive a certificate of completion, participants must do the following by the end date, April 28:
- Acknowledge agreement to the terms in our participant agreement which will be outlined in the LMS course
- Complete all course modules, activities, and assignments
- Complete a final comprehension quiz
- Respond to our post-workshop evaluation survey
The deadline for registration is March 15th, 2023
- WEEK 1, 2: Complete Modules 1 & 2
- Module 1: Introduction to the course
- Module 2: Proficiency, the OPI, the Rating Scale & Assessment Criteria
- WEEK 3, 4: Complete Modules 3 & 4
- Module 3: The Sublevels, OPI Structure & Elicitation
- Module 4(a): Application & Implications
Members Cost: $100
Non-Members Cost: $200
When: April 4th – April 28th, 2023