|
As we mentioned to you last year, the Jones Point lighthouse and Southern District marker are both in a state of extreme disrepair.
We were hopeful for some prompt improvements following the allocation of $350,000 to improve both structures and some early work undertaken. However, even after the government reopened, all efforts appear to have ceased.
As we start to press for a rapid response on the part of the City to preserve these priceless artifacts, we thought we would share with you some history of Jones Point Park and this historic marker that is, literally, falling into the Potomac River.
The cornerstone at Jones Point Park is located at the southern tip of the park, “behind” the light house itself. It was the very first boundary stone laid in 1791 marking the southernmost tip of the original square of the District of Columbia.
The fact that the stone has existed for such a remarkable period of time is extraordinary, but at this time it is in shocking decline due mostly to the neglect of the National Park Service in recent years..
It was once protected under a bronze-and-glass cover set into the seawall; that cover is now broken. Because of its low position on the shoreline, the stone is much affected by river conditions, tide levels, and shoreline erosion, which has now placed it close to or partially in the water at times. Once clearly legible, the original markings are very difficult to read.
As we all probably know, situating the new District of Columbia where it is now was a personal goal for George Washington. Congress authorized this general location, but George Washington in 1790, Congress passed the Residence Act, authorizing a new permanent location for the Capitol in the Virginia/Maryland area, but George Washingtonpersonally selected the exact location (to include Alexandria) and ordered a precise boundary survey.
To carry this out, Washington appointed Andrew Ellicott, one of the foremost surveyors of the era and the man with the best survey equipment. Ellicott was tasked with laying out a perfect diamond-shaped district, exactly 10 miles on each side (100 square miles).
The stone was placed with astronomical precision using star observations. Like the other boundary stones, it was carved from Aquia Creek sandstone, also commonly used in Old Town on buildings of that time.
Originally, the stone was inscribed with:
- “Jurisdiction of the United States”
- The year of placement (1791)
- The facing directions of the district boundary lines
However, when Virginia retroceded what is now Alexandria City back to Virginia (on the grounds that the federal government has enough land without it), the stone lost its legal boundary function and faded from public awareness.
In the early 1900s, local historians and the Daughters of the American Revolution helped re-identify and protect the marker. A seawall was constructed, and the stone was set behind a protective bronze-and-glass cover, preserving it in place rather than moving it. The stone is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Although there are many believed to be present when the stone was laid, the only ones who were definitely there were Andrew Ellicott and his survey teams, such as the requisite chain men, astronomical observers and laborers who physically set the stone.
The is a strong oral legend that George Washington was there. That is indeed a strong possibility, given his great interest in the establishment of the Federal District, his personal selection of Elliott, his presence in Alexandria and his membership with the Masons. Early historical accounts of the Masons describe the cornerstone as being laid “with ceremony” suggesting a more formal ceremony rather than a routine survey. Washington himself, like many of our Founding Fathers, was a Mason.
As any of you who have walked out to Jones Point over the past few years know, the status of these historic structures is shamefully poor. The protective cover and sea wall built by the DAR are in ruins. The lighthouse is boarded up, paint is peeling, and the wood siding is beginning to rot.
A few months ago, we had understood that funds had been located to provide immediate repairs to both the lighthouse and the boundary stone. The federal government shutdown stalled that process, but nothing has happened since then.
There was also discussion about the NPS giving the green light to the City to do the work–and presumably be reimbursed for it. That doesn’t seem to be happening either.
We will plan to keep our eyes on this and continue to inform you of any changes.
Here are some current photos.
|