For Immediate Release
John Stover, President
Monday, Feb. 21, 2022
Ohio Value Voters calls on the Ohio State Board of Education to immediately rescind their strategic plan that includes Social Emotional Learning (SEL) as one of their four learning domains. Based on evidence provided by the
Protect Ohio Children Coalition, Ohio's education system is putting families in danger by promoting SEL frameworks and programs.
The Protect Ohio Children Coalition has obtained numerous anonymous "tips" that reveal massive data collection and over-reach in Ohio classrooms. Here are just a few of the problems we find with Social Emotional Learning (SEL):
1. UNDERMINES PARENTAL RIGHTS— May instruct children they have rights to confidentiality and privacy from their parents and not to tell their parents what they are being taught about in school.
2. PROMOTES DATA COLLECTION –Government data bases are collecting data on students to follow them for life to measure outcomes for the working classes of society and the “collective good.” Parents have not consented to this data collection and many responses are private information best suited between a counselor and a patient. Phone apps among others are also used for students to provide data.
3. IMPERSONATES MENTAL HEALTH SERVICES – Many SEL programs are designed to shape the child’s developing brain to accept particular worldviews regarding sexuality, racial attitudes, and other social issues under the guise of providing a mental health benefit.
4. PROMOTES PSYCHOLOGICAL EVALUATIONS BY UNQUALIFIED TEACHERS – “Interventions” may be “prescribed” by a teacher with limited training that may adversely impact a student’s permanent data file. Lack of education resources can mean that their “evaluations” are administered by untrained or poorly trained personnel.
5. INVOLVES PROBLEMATIC PRIVACY POLICIES - May disclose student data that could be used against parents in regard to the personal choices they make for their children. If situations are detected regarding gender, sexual orientation or other “sexual rights” violations, this could become a window for family disruption or even separation.
6. PROMOTES ACTIVISM, ALLEGIANCE AND DIVISION- SEL is promoted as the “lever for equity and social justice” Critical Race Theory and Marxist lessons are taught regarding oppression, oppressors, “intersectionality”, race, gender, and religion in ways that promote illegal, sectarian concepts. Community organizing events and afterschool programs are routinely promoted.