One Water Newsletter:
Please welcome our newest US Water Alliance members!
Guadalupe-Blanco River Authority
The Guadalupe-Blanco River Authority (GBRA) is a regional water and wastewater utility providing wholesale and retail services to
more than 350,000 Texans daily
throughout a 10-county district in the Guadalupe River basin, starting in the Texas Hill Country continuing to San Antonio Bay on the Gulf of Mexico.
GBRA's district covers three of the five fastest growing counties in Texas and the United States. |
Learn more about GBRA
Washington Suburban Sanitation Commission
Established in 1918, the Washington Suburban Sanitation Commission (WSSC) is one of the largest water and wastewater utilities in the nation. WSSC's
service area spans nearly 1,000 square miles in Prince George's and Montgomery counties, and serves 1.8 million residents through approximately 475,000 customer accounts. | Learn more about WSSC
Radhika Fox Joins National Geographic Panel
On October 16, Alliance CEO Radhika Fox spoke on the panel
"Environmental Justice: Running Dry"
hosted by National Geographic in Washington, DC.
oderated by journalist Naveena Sadasivam, Radhika was joined by
author and historian
John F. Ross a
nd environmental health expert Dr. Jalonne White-Newsome of the Kresge Foundation in an ongoing series of environmental justice events at National Geographic. The panel focused on the forces contributing to the global water crisis, including human activity, politics, and climate change.
Water Equity in the Spotlight at Great Lakes Funder Collaboration Annual
On October 15 in Detroit, MI, Alliance CEO Radhika Fox spoke on the Keynote Panel "Race, Equity and Clean Water for All" at the Great Lakes Funder Collaboration (GLFC) Annual Meeting. The GLFC unites more than 50 funders working across the United States and Canada on initiatives that protect and restore the Great Lakes. Joined by Monica Lewis-Patrick of We the People of Detroit and Tim Eder of the Charles Stewart Mott Foundation,
Radhika spoke about the US Water Alliance's report,
An Equitable Water Future: Opportunities for the Great Lakes Region
She discussed the water-related challenges that vulnerable communities face throughout the region and progress toward creating more equitable water systems.
Biggest Imagine a Day Without Water Yet!
On October 10th, over
participated in Imagine a Day Without Water 2018 by hosting press events,
, and neighborhood events; authoring
; issuing resolutions; and more! Broadcast media coverage reached over
1.6 million listeners
in markets across the US and Canada. Kip Peterson, US Water Alliance's Vice President for Engagement, participated in
16 radio interviews
that reached 1.6 million people, and social media activities reached 6.5 million unique Twitter users and generated 9.3 million impressions. |
Read the full recap here
Register for December's North Central Region One Water Action Forum
The North Central Region Water Network, Soil and Water Conservation Society, Iowa Soybean Association, and US Water Alliance are teaming up for the North Central Region One Water Action Forum on
December 11-13, 2018
The forum is a region-wide follow-up to One Water Summit 2018 to localize lessons learned and take steps to put one water solutions into action in the North Central Region. The event will bring together researchers, educators, practitioners, and policy-makers to deepen the one water conversation in the Midwest and advance a more connected and cohesive approach to water and watershed management. |
On Tap in Washington:
Major Water Infrastructure Legislation Heads to President's Desk
Scott Berry, Director of Policy and Government Affairs, US Water Alliance
With the midterm elections looming, the Water Resources Development Act (WRDA) is likely to be the last major piece of legislation on water infrastructure during this Congress. Historically, WRDA authorized projects and set policies for the US Army Corps of Engineers (USACE), but recent versions have incorporated more water infrastructure provisions. |
Upcoming One Water Events
- One Water Webinar: Midterm Elections and the Future of Water on November 14, 1:00pm ET | Register here
- North Central Region One Water Action Forum, hosted by the North Central Region Water Network, Soil and Water Conservation Society, Iowa Soybean Association, and US Water Alliance, December 11-13 in Indianapolis, IN | Register here
In the News
- Cleveland news recognizes US Water Alliance member Northeast Ohio Regional Sewer District's innovative social media presence | Read here
- America's aging infrastructure highlighted in Route Fifty article, "Can 'Mad Libs' Save Our Failing Infrastructure?" | Read here
- Op-ed "Dear Customer: We're Shutting Off Your Water" in The New York Times addresses affordability and water infrastructure funding | Read here
From the One Water Blog
- Imagine a Day Without Water by Radhika Fox, CEO, US Water Alliance | Read here
- Priority Actions for Advancing Water Quality Trading by the Willamette Partnership Staff | Read here
- Imagine a Day Without Water--and the next day and the next day and ... by Dr. Ben Stanford, Senior Director, Water Research and Development, American Water | Read here
- Over a thousand organizations 'Imagine a Day Without Water' by Emily Simonson, Program Manager, US Water Alliance | Read here