The blackouts this past week created a scary situation for home bound seniors.
In the words of one volunteer driver, “Most of the elderly clients on my delivery list don’t know what’s going on. The thought hasn’t even crossed their minds that they need some water and basic food and that the refrigerator might shut off for a few days and the food might go bad.”
Fortunately, Meals on Wheels Diablo Region’s staff and volunteers were prepared. In spite of blackouts at many of their own homes, all of our drivers continued to show up with food, flashlights, and a message: We are here for seniors!
No matter what the circumstances, Meals on Wheels Diablo Region is here to help seniors. If you’re inspired by that mission, know that we are always looking for volunteer drivers! You can learn more about this important calling by visiting our volunteer page
And read below for these stories:
- How MOWDR helped clients affected by the power shutoffs (...and made national news!)
- The search for a new Executive Director
- Annual report snapshot of MOWDR’s activities this year
- A Girl Scout who shares her love of reading with isolated seniors
- How those freebie calendars in your mailbox can help seniors
Thanks for caring about your neighbors! Together we are helping seniors every day!