Dear Lakeside Community,
Happy Friday! October is here - change in weather and all, which begs the question......what are you doing on Saturday, October 29th? Attending the
Lakeside Harvest Festival, of course. Bring your chili to compete in a cook-off, join the bake-off and fun games for the kids from noon to 4 pm.
The Great Shake Out! The annual Great Shake Out will be held on October 20th. At that time, we will have an earthquake drill, joining thousands of schools and businesses statewide in practice for a drill. Please take some time to talk to your children about earthquake safety in your homes - the teachable moments are critically important!
Bobo the Clown is back with the
October STEM Challenge. And boy oh boy, is there interest! Flyers are in the office. K to 5th grade can participate in this STEM Challenge. This month, it's the traditional egg drop challenge with a few little suggestions. We'll toss the eggs off the roof on Fri, October 28th. Anyone want to come and help me at lunchtime? :)
Board meeting recap:
- No report out from closed. Consent approved with no discussion.
- Presentation by the Parcel Tax Ad Hoc Committee - recommendation to bring a parcel tax resolution to the November board meeting. Link to their presentation
to view the results of the Parcel Tax Community Web Survey.
- The board discussed Transitional Kindergarten (TK). The decision was made to assist families with placement in revenue limit school districts for TK so that students can attend self-contained programs that can best meet the developmental needs of TK students.
- Chief Business Officer Susan Ady shared budget adjustments in advance of the First Interim report. Click
for the October budget.
- October board policy updates were approved with minor edits.
Reminder to calendar the following
community meetings that have been scheduled so far to continue the conversation about the parcel tax and the future of Lakeside:
Sunday, October 16th
- Zayante neighborhood - email
for exact location (5 pm)
Tuesday, October 18th - Parcel Tax Study Session at school (10:30 am)
Tuesday, October 18th - Parcel Tax Study Session
at school (7 pm)
Finally, I've been working with the staff at Los Gatos/Saratoga Parks & Recreation Department on supervision of students as well as devices (iPads, iPhones, etc) being used after school.
Starting on Monday, devices will not be able to be used at Clubhouse - they must be turned off and put in backpacks.
There have been significant misuses of electronic devices and we are trying to ensure a safe environment for all students. Likewise, the Loma Prieta School District is no longer allowing students to use devices on their buses. Just a note - elementary school students are not allowed any non-school issued devices at all at Loma Prieta.
Dr. Lisa Gonzales
Interim Superintendent & Lead Learner