We are excited to announce our upcoming online camp program: “Take CedarS Home!” We will offer four one-week, fully-online camp experiences that aim to fulfill CedarS mission: “
To give each camper an appreciation of spiritual sense and an abundance of wholesome, joyous activity
.” This program gives campers an opportunity to unite with a community of spiritually-minded friends for both traditional and adapted camp activities.
HOW IT WORKS:
During Zoom sessions, campers will enjoy some of these opportunities…
- Focus on a new “Treasure of Truth” or “pearl” from CedarS theme (S&H 265) each day
- Participate in friendship-building activities
- Engage in Bible Lesson Study or Bible story re-enactments
- Sing camp songs
- Energize during a physical activity (dance, sports drill, exercises)
- Participate in hands-on camp activity (crafts, science, nature)
- Visit CedarS virtually via a live visit to special spots on camp property (corral, lakefront, cabins, sports center, Dawn Lodge, etc.)
- Engage in age-appropriate discussions and explore metaphysical ideas (middle and high schoolers)
Outside of Zoom sessions, campers…
- Will be encouraged to do other camp-related activities such as making their beds, doing "cabin chores," putting the summer theme into practice, having a rest hour, saying grace at meals, giving gratitude, finding a quote they like from the Bible Lesson, etc.
- May be asked to continue to think about an idea from their session and to come back the next day with new or expanded thoughts on the subject or to be prepared to report back on their efforts to put a leadership concept into practice.
WHEN: July 6-10, July 13-17, July 20-24, July 27-31
- Rising 1st graders: 10:00-11:00am CST
- Rising 2nd-5th graders: 10:00am - 12:00pm CST *
- Rising 6th-12th graders: 1:00pm - 3:00pm CST *
- Musical Theater: campers previously enrolled in the onsite program will receive a specific email
*Please note that we have built in an additional 30-minute buffer after the end time, during which our staff will be available in case the campers are engaged in something they don’t want to end!
WHO: Rising 1st-12th graders
- Elementary school campers will be grouped by age and gender
- Middle school campers will have a combination of single gender and co-ed activities
- High Schoolers will have a combination of single gender and co-ed activities
Eligibility includes youth...
- Enrolled in a Christian Science Sunday School; or
- With some Christian Science (CS) background and a supportive CS family member; or
- New to Christian Science with a sincere desire to explore it further
COST: $225 per camper, per session (sessions are one week long); $125 for rising 1st graders
- 2+ hours a day of live CedarS-themed experiences with your cabin mates and counselors
- Access to CedarS onsite Christian Science practitioner for both the camper and their immediate family members
- As a gift, CedarS will send each camper a CedarS 2020 T-shirt during their first week of online camp
- Online camp will count towards your number of years at CedarS, and campers who are in their 5th or 10th year will receive their CedarS tree necklace (5 years) or star charm (10 years) in the mail.
- All campers will receive a digital “Quality Award” at the end of the session.
Bonus opportunities include links to…
- Daily inspirational talks from our onsite Christian Science practitioners
- Our Journal-listed Christian Science practitioners are available to join your online cabin for Bible Lesson Study
- Sunday Hymn Sings
- Live-streamed tours and activities at camp
- “How-to” and activity videos created by CedarS counselors who are at camp right now.
- Videos of staff demonstrating CedarS home challenges (exercises, bed making, camping out, fire-building, and more!). We’ll even take requests!
- Igniting a greater interest in Sunday School and helping campers connect with online or in-person Sunday Schools in branch churches that they can engage with all year
FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE WITH TECHNOLOGY:
We are committed to including everyone who wants to grow in Christian Science. Divine Love knows no digital divide! Our program application includes a place for you to indicate if you need financial support to obtain hardware or an Internet connection.
Special Note: If The Campership Fund already granted you funding for the summer of 2020, CedarS can directly apply 100% of it to your tuition for online camp this summer! You'll have a place to note this on the online program application.
The program will be held on Zoom, an online video conferencing platform. Participants will be emailed a secure link and password. Each “cabin” or group will have a minimum of two trained CedarS staff members who will facilitate the activities and monitor the session, allowing campers to have safe and productive screen time. Our goal is for parents to be able to be able to take advantage of this hands-off time to accomplish their own goals during this time.
STAFF QUALIFICATIONS & PREPARATION:
We have carefully selected staff based on their demonstration of the qualities needed to engage your campers in a CedarS-themed, fun-filled, energetic, and wholesome experience. Staff will participate in a formal training with Dr. Lauren Stewart, professor of Experiential Education, who is on site at CedarS to offer additional help for staff throughout the sessions.
: Sign up by clicking
. Select "Summer Youth Camp" and then "Take CedarS Home Online Program."
CONTACT & TECH SUPPORT:
If you have questions, please email email@example.com.
Please share this email with anybody who could be blessed by this experience.
We look forward to sharing new camp adventures with you!
The CedarS Team