This is what we're wondering about this week: Romans 12:9-21
The apostle Paul, one of Jesus' disciples, wrote this letter, telling everyone:
Let love be genuine; hate what is evil, hold fast to what is good; love one another with mutual affection; outdo one another in showing honor. Do not lag in zeal, be ardent in spirit, serve the Lord.
- What does Paul mean? I wonder what genuine love is like.
- I'm glad to hate evil and hold fast to - pay attention to - good things.
- Which is stronger, good or evil? How do my loving actions serve God?
Rejoice in hope, be patient in suffering, persevere in prayer.
Hope was at the bottom of Pandora's box (here's the story, a Greek myth). . . hope is worthy of rejoicing, for sure. What do you think about that? What if there wasn't hope? How does hope help?
- It's hard to be patient, especially when times are tough. Where is God?
- What do you think about prayer, and praying even when you don't feel like it?
Contribute to the needs of the saints; extend hospitality to strangers.
- What are ways to give everyone the things they need?
Tell me, let's do them, together!
Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse them.
- Why should we bless the people who hurt us? How should we bless them? How does that make you feel? How does that serve God?
Rejoice with those who rejoice, weep with those who weep. Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly; do not claim to be wiser than you are.
- Be compassionate. Feel all the feels, be friendly to all.
- What might happen if you pretended to be some way you weren't?
Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all. If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all. Beloved, never avenge yourselves, but leave room for the wrath of God; for it is written, ‘Vengeance is mine, I will repay, says the Lord.’ No, ‘if your enemies are hungry, feed them; if they are thirsty, give them something to drink; for by doing this you will heap burning coals on their heads.’
Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.
- "When they go low, we go high."
- Let God provide vengeance; you provide hospitality.
- "Love wins."