Ontario By Bike Network:
Industry Update - March 2021
Cycling Boom to Continue in 2021
As we look ahead at the cycling season and the coming months of warmer weather early indicators and evidence from 2020 all point to another banner year for cycling. With it likely to include travel closer to home, Ontario is well poised to welcome cyclists looking to enjoying bikecations.
Cyclists in Ontario are keen to plan their 2021 travels as the following supports:
- Close to 600 individual order request received within one week of announcing availability of our 2021 Cycling in Ontario / Le vélo en Ontario guide.
- In less than two weeks of announcing our 2021 Ontario By Bike Ride destinations and small group tours, we are already 80% sold out.
- As captured in our Fall 2020 survey, 79% of cyclists were considering making non local travel plans that include cycling in 2021, should travel restrictions allow, and 57% were considering participating in some type of organized cycling activity, including events and tours in 2021.
We continue to recognize that the past year was extremely challenging for our tourism partners and businesses across Ontario. As we all try to move forward, working within restrictions, we wanted to reach out, stay in touch and share some additional information and resources with you, our valued industry partners.
- 2021 Cycling in Ontario Guide -
The 9th edition of the 2021 Cycling in Ontario/Le vélo en Ontario Guide
is now available (link to digital version at: ontariobybike.ca/2021
). This popular guide is packed with articles and ride suggestions about cycling in Ontario including 50 day trips and multi-day itineraries for all the different ride types. Along with our regional Ride Guide, articles feature info on car free bike travel, green season ride fun at ski resorts, an island cycling getaway and how to truly make Ontario 'yours to (re)discover'.
New for 2021
- Increased page count, now 48 pages, full colour, magazine format.
- New distribution deal with Canadian Cycling Magazine; 9,500 subscribers will receive guide with April/May edition. This is in addition to our long standing distribution arrangement with Vélo Mag, whose subscribers will receive the French edition for April.
- Our 2021 print run is 35,000, including 25k English/10k French.
- Enhance digital tracking capabilities, last year over 22,000 digital reads.
- Information about Covid safety and travel included within.
Order Print Copies & Assist With Distribution
- If you would like to order print copies for your location and to assist with distribution we would be happy to ship you any quantity. This is an extremely popular free publication and it moves fast. Available in English and French.
- Simply click on our email address firstname.lastname@example.org and include your mailing address and quantity requested. (Boxes come in 120 but can be shipped in any quantity.
- If you have any additional distribution suggestions or can help us get copies to other outlets in your area, let us know.
Just two weeks since printing, we are seeing a huge demand from cyclists for the annual guide. While we have initiated new distribution partnerships, the disruption to our regular distribution channels, including not being able to attend our regular shows and events, continues to make us appreciative of our industry partners that are able to assist with print distribution or sharing digitally. We also would like to thank our 2021 marketing partners, who without this publication would not be possible. ontariobybike.ca/2021
Win An Award!
Best Bicycle Friendly Businesses in Ontario
We are excited to announce that our third annual and 2021 Bicycle Friendly Business Awards are now open for entries. As part of our growing network with over 1,500 certified bicycle friendly businesses across Ontario, we want to award, celebrate and promote participating locations that have taken extra steps to welcome and accommodate cyclists at their location. Winners will access an incredible promotional opportunity to reach thousands of cyclists, all for free.
Does your business excel in catering to and welcoming cyclists that visit your location?
Do you go above and beyond offering specific services and amenities for cyclists?
Are you the most bicycle friendly business in your region?
We want to showcase and celebrate what you do!
If you are part of the Ontario By Bike Network, we invite you to submit an application to be considered the best bicycle friendly business in your geographic region.
If you have previously applied for the Ontario By Bike Business Award and not been selected a winner, let us know if you would like to resubmit your entry and we can send you your past submission for review and updates.
As a winner your business will:
- Be featured and promoted via our digital channels including our monthly e-newsletters avidly read by 15,000 subscribers
- Receive an award and recognition from Ontario By Bike
We will be announcing two winners monthly in our consumer/cyclists e-newsletter and including them on the following page where you can also find the link to all past winners: ontariobybike.ca/2021awardwinners
We look forward to your participation. If you have any further questions please direct them to email@example.com
Submit your application by filling out the form accessed from link below, and before April 6 to participate in the 2021 contest.
Photo Credit: As featured in the Manitoulin Expositor, 2021 Winner, Twin Peaks B&B
Upcoming Ontario By Bike
Workshops and Webinars
As part of our mission to increase awareness of our bicycle friendly business certification network and program renewal for Ontario By Bike Network regions, we are hosting a number of Cycle Tourism Development Webinars this spring. With an increasing popularity in local cycle tourism activities, now more than ever is a great time to get updated on the program, familiarize yourself with the cycle tourism market, and find out how welcoming cyclists can be good for your business.
Below is an overview of already confirmed webinars. Please visit ontariobybike.ca/workshops for event information, registration and upcoming events as we will be adding more dates and locations in the coming weeks.
- York Region - Welcoming Cyclists in York Region - April 12
- Elgin/Middlesex/Oxford - Welcoming Cyclists in South Western Ontario - April 13
- Halton Region - Welcoming Cyclists in Halton Region - April 14
- Explorer's Edge - Welcoming Cyclists in Muskoka and Parry Sound Region - April 15
- Destination Northern Ontario - Welcoming Cyclists in Northern Ontario - April 16
- Northumberland Tourism - Welcoming Cyclists in Northumberland County - April 20
- Destination Northern Ontario - Welcoming Cyclists in Northern Ontario: Spring Training Week Session - April 21
- Kawarthas Northumberland - Welcoming Cyclists in Kawartha Lakes, Peterborough & the Kawarthas - April 21
Hamilton: Welcoming Cyclist in Hamilton - TBD
About the Webinars:
Ontario By Bike workshops and webinars are open to everyone, but are of particular interest to tourism professionals, including accommodations, food services, attractions, tour operators, breweries, wineries, business areas and cycling related businesses and organizations interested in the development of cycle tourism in their region.
Participants will learn more about:
- The Ontario cycle tourism market and find out how welcoming cyclists can be good for business
- Local, regional and provincial promotions and projects supporting cycling and cycle tourism
- Updates on cycle tourism market impact, forecasts and industry recovery
- Get a refresher on certification criteria for bicycle friendly businesses
- How to uncover new business opportunities
Whether you are already part of the Ontario By Bike Program or if you would like to learn more about becoming certified and the impact of cycle tourism, make plans to join us for a workshop/webinar in the near future.
2021 Destination Renewals
& Business Listing Verifications
To ensure information is up to date on our website and help cyclists find places to eat visit and sleep, we are constantly working on updates to our regional 'Great Places to Cycle' webpages and managing existing business listings.
To provide correct information and keep our network valid, we rely on certified businesses to confirm their listing and make sure all the information is accurate.
As part of our 2021 destination renewals we will verify all certified businesses in those regions that are due for and have confirmed their three year renewal. Additionally, we will provide a number of services including webinars that will be open to existing and new businesses. We have already sent out this information individually to all businesses in the following renewal areas and if you haven't already taken the steps to do so we need you to verifying your listing.
If your business is located in one of the listed regions, please follow the quick steps below if you became certified in 2020 or earlier. We know your time is valuable, so we've kept things simple.
- Please visit the our full bicycle friendly business listings page and map on our website ontarioByBike.ca/all-bicycle-friendly-businesses, find your listing and check if your information is still accurate. If your listing needs an update you can either do this by logging in and updating the information yourself or by sending an email to info@ontariobybike and we can edit your listing directly. Click here if you need information on how to edit your listing.
- Confirm that you have reviewed your listing by clicking your region above and completing the quick verification questions.
- If your location is in one of the regions above, and we don't hear from you, we will be reaching out directly.
We appreciate your help in providing up to date and quality content to all the riders out there who are looking for great places to cycle and thank you for taking the time to ensure that Ontario By Bike continues to be the primary source for cycling information in Ontario.
News About Your Business
& Cycling in Your Region
With warmer weather coming up fast and spring just days away, most cyclists are getting ready to get out there and start cycling.
Help us fill our content calendar and let us share any exciting news about your bicycle friendly business or region with our community. We are always looking for great new stories and updates to share through our social media channels and consumer enewsletter with over 15,000 subscribers.
No matter if it's new trails, maps, events or any other cycling related products and services, a large number of innovative projects are planned and executed each year to ensure Ontario keeps growing as a top cycling destination across Canada
While we often exchange information with our destination partners about upcoming projects through our Ontario By Bike Industry Advisory Committee
we would also like to reach out to all of you and hear more great news directly from our industry partners.
Let us help you get the word out and benefit from a large exposure to the cycling community across Ontario and beyond. Send us and email with any updates or photos/videos from your region, organization or business.
Stay Connected with Ontario By Bike!
Share your destination or business posts using the hashtag #OntarioByBike & #BikeON!
2021Ontario By Bike Rides
Just a few weeks ago, we announced our Ontario By Bike Rides and destinations for 2021. We have two new ride destinations and are bringing back two popular past rides.
To keep our riders safe, we will be following all local and provincial guidelines, and are optimistic that these small group weekend tours will be operating. In 2020, we were able to host three out of the four ride weekends and received a 100% satisfaction rate from riders on our health and safety procedures.
Attesting to the fact that cyclists and Ontario travellers are keen to plan bikecations in Ontario, our popular ride series usually sells out in advance, but we are seeing an unprecedented level of interest and bookings this year, and are already over 80% sold out.
These rides bring significant economic impact to the communities we ride in ($314 is the average spent per person on a 2 day, 1 overnight cycling trip in Ontario; $550 average spent on 3 day, 2 overnights trip). We also create legacy itineraries so cyclists can enjoy a self supported version of these rides.
Where possible, we use exclusively Ontario By Bike certified bicycle friendly businesses for overnight accommodations, meals and attractions. If you are located in any of the ride regions and destinations for 2021, get in touch, and we will see if our group can stop by. Find out more at: ontariobybike.ca/rides
Until we connect again, stay healthy and positive.
From Louisa Mursell & Simon Lutz
Ontario By Bike Network
Project of Transportation Options
850 Coxwell Ave ~ Toronto, ON ~ M4C 5R1
Office: 416-827-2774 or