Dear County Executive Pittman and County Council Members,
Please keep the Millersville site for tennis.
After 8 years of process approvals, the need for a year-round tennis center remains. The facility will not only address needs for tennis, but it will deliver multi-community impact and value that will change the quality of life for Anne Arundel County residents.
This important project must not be deferred or diminished. It includes:
- Affordable public recreational programming for youth, seniors, and those with disabilities.
- Free tennis & educational programs to under-resourced communities
- Serving as a health center to host and distribute county health information.
“Serving Up Tennis” (the outreach arm of the Tennis Alliance) partners with nonprofit organizations to reinforce shared missions, healthy lifestyles and values learned through sport. In 2021 we delivered free weekly tennis & educational programming:
- HACA, Housing Authority of the City of Annapolis
- Center of Help / Centro de Ayuda
- Special Olympics MD, Anne Arundel County
- Truxtun Park neighborhood communities
- Head Start Brooklyn/Brooklyn Park Library
- Crofton Chamber of Commerce, National Night Out
- City of Annapolis, Truxtun Park Ribbon Cutting Ceremony
The tennis center project will grow these programs and add others:
Tennis Corps (veterans), Wheelchair Tennis, Aces for Autism, Neighborhood Youth Outreach. Tennis is a sport that serves.
The Tennis Alliance thanks our grant providers, donors, and partners.
- Rotary Club of Parole
- The Krall Family Foundation
- USTA Foundation
- USTA Mid Atlantic
- Anne Arundel County Recreation and Parks
- Annapolis Recreation and Parks
- Healthy Anne Arundel Coalition, Healthy Eating Active Living (HEAL)
Thank you to the County Administration and County Council for your support.
We wish you a safe and healthy 2022!
Louise Gengler Thomas
President Tennis Alliance of Anne Arundel County
(609) 647 5958