It’s been too long since our last update, but the Club continues on the path toward pre-COVID normal operations. We’re open to the public on Sundays, and I am looking forward to warmer weather and upcoming tournament events! Can’t wait to see you out there!
Here is a quick summary of Oranco updates from Club meetings November - February:
· Oranco Champ Shoot will be held March 20, 2021.The tournament is open to members and 1 guest (must shoot with inviting member). Registration is FREE for members and $10 for guests and includes a lunch ticket. The tournament consists of 14 hunter, 14 field and 14 animal rounds. Awards to be presented at a later date (hopefully at the Club annual banquet).
· CBH State Broadhead will be held Memorial Day weekend near Castaic. Check out the CBH website for details and registration. · Check out the CBH Event Calendar for additional tournament dates and updates on cancellations throughout California.
BEGINNERS ARCHERY CLASS
· Please check out our website or contact Vernie Urbano at firstname.lastname@example.org or 714-928-4100 for more information and to RSVP.
JUNIOR FIELD ARCHERS
· Held first Sunday of each month at 9am. Participation is free for members and children under 11. Guests are $20. No pre-registration required. Please contact David Bacon at email@example.com or 909-217-4441 for more information.
· If you would like to learn how to shoot tournaments/league, bowhunt, or just want to shoot archery with other women there is an informal lady’s group that meets at the range at 2:30pm on Sundays. Please contact Amanda Duchardt at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested.
RANGE MAINTENANCE AND WORK PARTIES
· SIGN UP for emails to be notified of work party opportunities.
· Joe is managing several projects around the range. Please reach out to Joe at 951-897-5685 if you need work party credits and have a few hours to help.
· When we reopen to the public, most Board members will need assistants to help with duties and opening the range on Sunday. Work party credits available. Check out the Contact page on the Oranco website and reach out if you are interested in helping.
· San Bernardino County is hosting an outdoor event on June 19 and is seeking booth volunteers. Please contact Joe to volunteer and receive work party credits.
· The 2020 hunt season is closed. If you turned in game harvest cards to Jose Lara or Bill Leal you may be eligible for awards (hopefully to be presented at an upcoming club banquet).
· 2021 Turkey season opens March 27.
· In January, the California legislature introduced SB 252 to ban bear hunting in the state. Thanks to a fast acting grassroots advocacy effort by hunters and conservationists, the bill was quickly retracted but additional efforts are needed to protect hunting opportunities. Please visit the Legislative pages on the CBH website, sign up for legislative alerts and reach out to your local legislative reps (AmandaDuchardt@gmail.com) for ways you can help!
· Hunter education classes are available online.
BOW FISHERS **NEW**
· CBH Small Game Club is hosting the 25th Annual Tilapia Shoot in Palo Verde, CA on May 1-2, 2021 · and the Annual Carp Shoot at Lake Isabella, CA on June 5-6, 2021. Check out the Small Game Club page on the CBH website for details and registration.
· As of January 1, the new Sunday shoot fees are as follows: $20 for the first shooter, $10 for additional shooters, max $40. Ages 11 and under are free. The range is open to the public Sundays 8:30AM – 2PM.
· The Oranco Board of Directors was re-elected and will continue leadership of the range in 2021.
· Pope and Young Banquet will be held in Reno NV in June. This event is knows for displaying some of the best animals in the world shot with a bow and unbelievable raffles.
· Vernie is seeking volunteers to help with the Oranco youth program, which has grown from 8 to 24 youth archers in the last year! What an AMAZING accomplishment! We are SO PROUD of our youth archers! Please contact Vernie Urbano at email@example.com or 714-928-4100 if you are interested in helping. · Old and new carpet bales are for sale. Contact Chriss Bowles at firstname.lastname@example.org or 951-757-4571.
· Target Camping is strictly prohibited and may result in immediate termination of membership. The roving range must be shot in number order, 3-4 arrows per target MAXIMUM (depending on the hunter/field/animal target presented). DO NOT EXCEED THE ARROW LIMIT!
· Your membership card MUST be present and visible on your arrow quiver. Failure to display your card (or wrist band if you are a public participant on Sundays) will result in your being asked to leave the range. ANY member can check membership cards.
· NO overhead drawing! When you draw your bow, the tip of your arrow must stay below the brim of your hat/head at ALL times. This is a serious safety issue! If you are pulling too much weight or are tired/fatigued, consider asking for help to adjust your bow or take a break. We have lots of social members out there willing to chat and help if asked. If you see overhead drawing, be your brother’s/sister’s keeper and point it out. ANY member can ask unsafe shooters to leave the range.
Want to be informed or get involved? Our next club meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, March 9, at 7pm. As a reminder, all prospective members need to attend 2 Club Meetings and participate in 2 work parties to become an Oranco member.
Club Meeting Minutes are available in a binder at the Club office or email Ob.Secretary@outlook.com for a copy. The Summary of Board/Member Actions from the last meetings are included below.