Here are the organizing steps I use.
1. Pick a target area.
2. Tackle the floor and flat surfaces first.
3. Sort like items together into categories and label each category.
4. Go through each category and decide what stays and what goes.
5. Get rid of what goes as soon as possible.
6. Decide where to put the items that are staying, even if it's a temporary place until you can address the target area it will be in.
7. Pick another target area and repeat steps 2 through 6.
The work definitely goes faster when another person is present and physically helping you. If that person is me I also provide input, possible resources, support for decisions, and knowledge of donation and recycling options. My physical presents also helps hold you accountable to do the work, helps you stay focused and on task, and helps you make decisions more quickly and objectively. If you'd like more details I'd be happy to have a conversation.