The new year brings a sense of renewal and the opportunity for growth and positive change. The De La Salle School has had a number of opportunities to engage in growth and the opportunities have been fruitful.
On January18, the faculty and staff joined the other three San Miguel Schools in the District of Eastern North America (DENA) for a weekend of professional and spiritual development. We had an opportunity to strengthen our pedagogy and spirituality. We were able to meet with other professionals to discuss best practices and the opportunity for spiritual growth came from a presentation given by Brother Visitor Robert Schaefer, FSC. Brother Bob reminded us that just as Saint John Baptist De La Salle answered God’s call to open schools, so are we by our vocation of educating God’s children.
Thank you, Brother Visitor Robert Schaefer, FSC and the Office of Mission and Ministry for providing us with this opportunity. We look forward to many more growth opportunities!
Our recruitment season is proving to be very productive. While visiting the neighboring parishes and at our open house, we have had the pleasure of meeting many families interested in having their sons attend The De La Salle School. Our families and students play an important part in our recruitment because who better to share the good news of the DLS than those who live it every day? It was heartwarming to see them share the goodness of God with prospective families. I repeatedly heard why they love our school. It is evident that our students are learning to love the way God loves us. The more time I spend with our families and students, the more this phrase becomes true, words cannot begin to describe the beauty of the mission of The De La Salle School.
This week we are celebrating Catholic Schools Week. Catholic Schools Week is an annual celebration of Catholic education in the United States. Our celebration began with a family Mass on Sunday where Father Chris blessed our administrators, teachers, students and families. This week will be filled with activities for our students to celebrate the members of our community that help make Catholic schools great.
The year’s Catholic Schools Week theme is “United in Faith and Community.”
* Sunday, January 28: Celebrating Your Parish – Thank you to all the parishes who support us in our recruitment and keep us in their prayers.
* Monday: Celebrating Your Community – Thank you to all those in our community who believe and support our mission.
* Tuesday: Celebrating Your Students – Thank you God for blessing us with these young men who allow us to see your face every day.
* Wednesday: Celebrating the Nation – Thank you to our government leaders for their contributions to our country.
* Thursday: Celebrating Vocations – Thank you Saint John Baptist De la Salle for answering Gpd’s call, and to our priests, brothers, deacons and sisters for their dedication to living and sharing our faith.
* Friday: Celebrating Faculty, Staff and Volunteers – Thank you to our administrators, teachers, staff, trustees, donors and benefactors for your dedication in furthering our mission.
* Saturday: Celebrating Families – Thank God for our families who entrust us with their greatest gifts, their sons.
During this week of celebration, we encourage you to visit our school to see all the great things happening. Please share the good news of Catholic education and get the word out on why Catholic schools are great places of academic excellence and faith-filled mission!
2 Peter 3:18 “But grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and savior Jesus Christ. To him be glory both now and to the day of eternity. Amen.”
SAINT JOHN BAPTIST DE LA SALLE…PRAY FOR US
LIVE JESUS IN OUR HEARTS…FOREVER!
Mrs. Roxanna De Peña-Elder