March 12, 2020
Greetings from your YMCA in Greenfield,
At this time of significant concern over Coronavirus (Covid-19), we remain vigilant about protecting your health and safety. We also recognize and treasure the fact that your YMCA may be very important to your community and emotional health as well as to your fitness regimen. As such, until advised differently by experts at the CDC and/or the MA Department of Public Health, we are maintaining our regular hours of operation.
Yesterday, the World Health Organization (WHO) confirmed the Coronavirus outbreak as a pandemic. While actual infections of Coronavirus in the state of Massachusetts have been limited, they continue to grow in number. It is quite likely that an outbreak may reach our Pioneer Valley in future days. Therefore, like all responsible businesses, we are keeping in lockstep with CDC, MA Department of Public Health, and MA Early Education and Care recommendations. We are staying informed, setting up systems, and taking actions to help curb risk and to keep you healthy.
Our management team, supported by Y-USA directives, meets regularly to discuss best practices to keep our facilities safe and to ensure that your YMCA experience is positive.
At this time:
- We are maintaining our existing programs.
- Our swimming pool will remain open and all aquatics classes will be maintained.
- We are maintaining our schedule of group exercise classes.
- Yoga classes will be adapted to not include use of any props
- Class participants are strongly encouraged to bring personal mats with them.
- All plans are subject to change pending CDC or State of MA DPH mandates.
In alignment with local health recommendations, we are closing (until further notice):
- Our Hot Tub
- Our Men’s steam room
- Our Women’s sauna
Additional points of emphasis include:
- YMCA staff who are ill will be sent home and asked to stay out of work until they are symptom free.
- We are insisting Y members who exhibit signs of illness to stay home, returning to your Y only when they are feeling better.
- Youth in our pre-school and before/after school programs who are exhibiting signs of illness are being required to stay home for a minimum of 24 hours after being deemed symptom free.
- Our professional cleaning service is significantly enhancing its daily sanitization practices.
- Schedules have been established for Y staff (including leadership) to routinely clean
- door knobs, handles, buttons, switches, counter tops, railings, cardio & weight equipment, etc. throughout our daily hours of operation.
- Exercise rooms will be closed periodically for 15 minutes to execute a deep sanitization.
- Hand sanitizer stations have been established throughout your YMCA.
- We are insisting that all Y members clean equipment BEFORE and AFTER they use it.
- We are strongly encouraging all Y members to be in charge of their own health, including washing their hands with soap and water as often as possible.
Additionally, we encourage you to regularly check the
for important updates and safety information.
In the meantime, if you have any concerns, please don’t hesitate to reach out to me directly.