PCSAO updates reform plan, seeks additional endorsements
One year after releasing its
Children’s Continuum of Care Reform
PCSAO has updated the plan. The goals and impact of the plan remain the same – to improve the children services system by preventing foster care placement, ensuring that children grow up in families, improving options for residential treatment, and sustaining permanency once children return home. Minor changes have been made based on feedback received over the past year, and more kinship recommendations and current data have been added. Check out the
We continue to seek endorsing organizations to add to the 18 national and state organizations that have already endorsed.
Children services panel testifies before Senate Finance subcommittee
On May 15, Angela Sausser, PCSAO Executive Director; John Fisher, Licking County JFS Director; and Jerica Estle-Grooms, a former foster youth from Adams County, presented testimony before a Senate human services subcommittee. The testimony focused on the severe crisis facing Ohio’s children services system and the need to maintain the children services investments as proposed by Governor DeWine and added to by the House.
Read more and link to photos
2019 PCSAO conference updates
Ohio START Steering Committee meets
The Ohio START Steering Committee met May 14 at PCSAO for its quarterly meeting. During the meeting, new additions to the steering committee were introduced, and representatives from Trumbull and Carroll counties attended, as well as a representative from United Healthcare Community Plan of Ohio. Committee members discussed program and budget updates, evaluation strategies, and training opportunities going forward. The next Steering Committee meeting is set for Aug. 13.
Delaware recognizes foster parents
Scott Britton was honored to speak at the May 15 Foster Care Recognition Banquet hosted by Delaware County JFS. County commissioners and the juvenile judge joined Director Bob Anderson, Deputy Director Sandy Honigford and children services staff as they served up dinner and gratitude to county foster caregivers. Families ranged from those who have been serving for more than a decade to those planning to take their first placement the next day. Britton thanked the caregivers for their service, provided updates on state and national reform efforts, and engaged the group in providing examples of their practice and their needs.
FFPSA Leadership Committee meets
The ODJFS Family First Prevention Services Act (FFPSA) Leadership Committee met on May 16. Carla Carpenter, OFC Deputy Director and Chair of the Committee, shared federal and state updates pertaining to FFPSA. The Committee received a presentation on the FFPSA Kinship Navigator Program, approved the charter for the Kinship Navigator Subcommittee, and heard updates for the QRTP, Prevention Services, and Modeling Licensing Subcommittees. The FFPSA Leadership Committee will meet on June 20.
Permanency roundtables advance practice
In advance of inviting more counties to adopt Ohio's successful youth-centered permanency roundtables model, the PRT Advisory Council met May 17 to review survey results, improve the practice manual, develop new communications tools, and share updates. The council is made up of 10 counties actively employing the promising model to move longstaying foster youth to legal permanency. The council next meets Aug. 16.
Rules in Pre-Clearance: Click
to review and comment on the following rules currently in pre-clearance:
- Through May 30: Chapter 5101:2-5 Child Services Agency Licensing Rules; Chapter 5101:2-7 Foster Care; Chapter 5101:2-48 Adoption
Rules in Clearance: As of May 17, no children services-related rules were in Clearance.
Rules that have been filed with JCARR: The following rules have been final-filed with JCARR and will be effective July 1.
- 5101:2-49-03: Special needs criteria for adoption assistance
- 5101:2-49-04: Requirement for adoption assistance past age eighteen
- 5101:2-49-06: Adoption assistance agreement and duration: provision for financial support and services
- 5101:2-49-07: Adoption assistance agreement only with no payment
- 5101:2-49-08: Adoption assistance payments
- 5101:2-49-09: Title IV-E adoption assistance post-finalization application
- 5101:2-49-09.1: Retroactive adoption assistance payment process
- 5101:2-49-10: Determination of continuing eligibility requirements for adoption assistance
- 5101:2-49-11: Suspension of Title IV-E adoption assistance (AA) payment
- 5101:2-49-12: Modification/amendment of an adoption assistance agreement
- 5101:2-49-13: Termination of adoption assistance
- 5101:2-49-19: Title XIX medicaid coverage for Title IV-E adoption assistance eligible children (COBRA)
- 5101:2-49-23: Adoption assistance intercounty and interstate case management responsibility
- 5101:2-49-25: Qualified and disqualified alien eligibility for Title IV-E adoption assistance