I have received communication from the Governor's office. While it is not as concrete as I had hoped (and we are still working on that), it does say that:
Distribution centers are part of critical infrastructure for many industries."
In reading State and local ordinances as well as direction from the Federal government, our read is that distribution centers
remain open in California.
That being said, you will need to make your own decision in consultation with your in-house legal counsel, but in conversations I had with Administration staff as well as the many phone calls, my read is distribution centers can remain open.
I am still pushing for more concrete clarification, but at this point, this is what we got.
I would recommend a few things:
- Have signage throughout the center promoting washing hands, social distancing, etc.
- If you have a PA system for announcements that you have announcements running regularly reminding folks to wash hands, social distancing, etc.
- That you enforce regular cleaning of the facilities
- That you make hand sanitizer readily available
- You do not allow employees 60+ to work
Also, we are working on another issue - some retail employees are being stopped and ticketed as they are driving to work. I would recommend sending a letter that employees can carry with them indicating they are allowed to work. That may not solve the problem, but might help. We are working on a fix today on that issue.
Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.