December 16, 2022
The following areas will experience changes to operating hours and service levels over the holiday season:
Edmonton Transit Service (ETS)
Each year, ETS adjusts service levels for the statutory holidays and the days around Christmas to reflect the lower level of ridership.
Key dates or periods over the holidays that will have specific service reductions or additions include:
- December 25: All bus routes operate using reduced Sunday schedules. LRT runs regular Sunday service.
- December 26: All bus routes and LRT operate using Saturday schedules. Service on Route 4 is increased in the morning.
- December 27-30: All school trips and school special routes are cancelled. Regular bus routes operate using reduced weekday schedules. Capital/Metro Line LRT and On Demand Transit will have regular weekday service.
- December 31: From 6 p.m. until the end of service, all transit riders can board buses, LRT and DATS for free. Service on many routes and the LRT is extended until 3 a.m.
- January 1: Sunday service
- January 2: Saturday service
- January 3-6: All school trips and school special routes are cancelled. Regular bus routes operate using reduced weekday schedules. Regular weekday LRT service resumes.
- January 9: Full service resumes on all bus routes.
Transit riders can check edmonton.ca/TransitAlerts
for changes to LRT schedules and On Demand Transit hours. Riders are also encouraged to double check their schedules using the trip planner on edmonton.ca/transit
, the third-party Transit app or Google Maps. Full service resumes Monday, January 9, 2023.
Natural Christmas tree disposal
Curbside collection of natural Christmas trees starts on Monday, January 9, 2023. To have your Christmas tree collected:
- Please set your tree out for collection by 7 a.m. on January 9. Trees may be picked up as late as February 10, 2023 (weather dependent) and not necessarily on residents’ regularly scheduled collection days. If your tree has not been picked up by February 10, and was set out for collection by January 9, please call 311.
- For information about how to set out your tree for collection, please visit edmonton.ca/WastelessHolidays
- Residents are encouraged to drop off their natural Christmas tree for free at a Recycling Depot from December 27 until February 6, 2023, or at an Eco Station any time during the year.
- Christmas trees cannot be placed near apartment garbage bins or blue bins
Edmonton Valley Zoo
Between December 16 and January 1, the Edmonton Valley Zoo will be open daily for Zoominescence during the hours of 4:30 to 9 p.m., with the exception of Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.
Please note that the Zoominescence evening hours will be the ONLY time the zoo is open during this period. As of January 2, 2023, the zoo will return to its regular operational hours of 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Thursday to Sunday. The zoo will be closed Monday to Wednesday.
The Muttart Conservatory is open daily with the exception of Christmas Day. Hours are online at edmonton.ca/muttart
. The Dashing Through the Snow Feature Pyramid is open until January 8, 2023.
John Janzen Nature Centre
The John Janzen Nature Centre is open daily between 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. The JJNC is closed Christmas Day and New Year’s Day. Please visit our website
for more information. Tickets can be purchased on site or pre-booked at MoveLearnPlay
Statutory holiday hours and some facility closures will be in effect at recreation centres on Monday, December 26, Tuesday, December 27, and Monday, January 2. Residents are encouraged to check facility hours online prior to visiting their facility of choice on these days to determine whether it is operating under reduced hours or is closed. Memberships at any level will be accepted at any facility that remains open during statutory holidays.
Registered and drop-in programs and classes will also be affected by holiday hours. On Saturday, December 24, classes will run until 4pm. On Saturday, December 31, Group Fitness class will run until 4pm.
There will be no registered programs on December 25, 26 or January 1.
311 will continue to operate with regular hours during the holidays, 7 a.m. to 7 p.m., seven days a week. They will be closed for the statutory holidays on December 25 and 26 and January 1, 2023. Essential public safety concerns are still being addressed during the closed statutory holidays.
Edmonton Service Centre
The Edmonton Service Centre, including the ETS Lost and Found, will be closed December 26, 27 and January 2. It will be open regular hours (8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.) from December 28 to 30.
Parking Ban Notifications
Residents are reminded to sign up for Parking Ban notifications to get 24-hour advance notice of a parking ban in their neighbourhood and avoid a $250 fine. Visit edmonton.ca/safetravels
to sign up.
Stony Plain Road Bridge Demolition
Starting December 29, 2022, as part of the Valley Line West LRT project, Marigold Infrastructure Partners (MIP) will begin demolition and replacement of the Stony Plain Road Bridge. This will require temporary road closures.
Short-term road closure:
Groat Road between 107 Avenue and River Valley Road starting December 29, 2022, to January 3, 2023
- Total closure starting at 7 p.m. on Thursday, December 29. Groat Road is anticipated to re-open at 6 a.m. on Tuesday, January 3, 2023.
- Vehicle detours include Victoria Park Road, 149 St. to Whitemud Drive, and 109 St. to High Level Bridge.
- Northbound and southbound pedestrian access will be rerouted to Ramsay Ravine near Government House Park.
Long-term road closure: Stony Plain Road between 129 Street and 131 Street
December 29, 2022, to fall 2024
- Total closure starting at 7 p.m. on Thursday, December 29. The new Stony Plain Road Bridge is anticipated to re-open in fall 2024.
- Vehicle and pedestrian traffic across Stony Plain Road Bridge will be detoured to 102 Avenue or 107 Avenue.
Transit Impacts: Stony Plain Road Shuttle
- The Stony Plain Road shuttle will be detoured from Stony Plain Road between 124 Street and 139 Street to travel via Stony Plain Road, 102 Avenue, 124 Street and Stony Plain Road. There are no schedule changes as a result of the route modification. Visit the Stony Plain Road Shuttle brochure for bus stop locations.