July 21, 2022
Edmontonians are asked to plan ahead and allow extra time for travel July 25 and 26 when Pope Francis will be in Edmonton as part of the Catholic Church’s healing and reconciliation journey with residential school survivors and their families. Road closures and increased traffic will cause travel delays during the visit. Please be patient and courteous as you travel throughout the city.
The City of Edmonton is working with our partners to support a safe and successful Papal visit in the Edmonton area as part of the shared journey towards reconciliation.
Papal Mass at Commonwealth Stadium
Date: Tuesday, July 26
Time: Programming starts at 8:15 a.m. Everyone is encouraged to arrive early.
Commonwealth Stadium doors open at 7:30 a.m. Those who are seated on the floor must be in their seats by 8:30 a.m. Attendees are reminded to please arrive early, plan their route to the stadium ahead of time and use public transportation to get to the stadium as there is no parking. Dress for weather conditions, as this is an open-air venue.
Mobile tickets are required to enter the stadium so attendees should ensure their tickets are properly loaded in the Ticketmaster mobile app, or saved to their mobile device to ensure quick entry.
You may bring clear bags that are 12”x 12”x 6″ and non-clear bags under 4.5” x 6.5″ with snacks and water in a plastic 750ml bottle. No glass containers will be permitted.
More information on what is permitted and not permitted at Commonwealth Stadium events is available here
A final block of public tickets will be released on Friday, July 22 at 10:30 a.m. All tickets are free and tickets bought from resellers are not valid. Visit PapalVisit.ca
for additional information on how to obtain tickets.
Papal Mass Transit Service
Tickets for the Papal Mass can be used as fare for regular bus/LRT and Park & Ride service from 7 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. on July 26.
Edmonton Transit Service (ETS) will provide Park & Ride service between Commonwealth Stadium and a variety of Park & Ride sites for the Papal Mass. Park & Ride buses start running at 7 a.m. and run approximately every five minutes from each location:
Calder City Lot (124 Street and 124 Avenue)
Davies City Lot (86 Street and 61 Avenue)
Eaux Claires Lot (97 Street and 157 Avenue)
Lewis Farms (1021 Webber Greens Drive)
Please note: This lot currently has fewer available stalls because of construction to accommodate the Valley Line West. If you use this lot, please plan to arrive early or park at the Calder City lot.
Mill Woods Town Centre (66 Street and 23 Avenue)
- There will also be a downtown route. These buses will stop at:
- All eastbound bus stops between 107 Street and 97 Street on Jasper Avenue
- All northbound stops between Jasper Avenue and 107 Avenue on 97 Street.
ETS bus routes 2, 3 and 101
, as well as the Capital Line LRT
, also run near Commonwealth Stadium. Plan your trip at edmonton.ca/Transit
Commonwealth Community Recreation Centre
Commonwealth Community Recreation Centre will close to the public at 1 p.m. on Monday, July 25, and reopen the next day, Tuesday, July 26 at 2 p.m.
A number of road closures will be in effect during the Pope’s visit to Edmonton.
Saturday, July 23 at 8 a.m. to Tuesday, July 26 at 10 p.m.:
- 96 Street, from 108 Avenue to 108A Avenue, including the east sidewalk
- 108A Avenue, from 96 Street east to the first alleyway
- Alleyways east of 96 Street and south of 108A Avenue to 108 Avenue
Monday, July 25 from 8 a.m. to 6:30 p.m.:
- 96 Street, from 107A Avenue to 109 Avenue
- 108 Avenue, from 95 Street to 97 Street
- 108A Avenue, from 95 Street to 97 Street
- 109 Avenue, from 95 Street to 97 Street
- No on-street parking will be permitted during this time. Local area residents may exit the area, however vehicle re-entry will only be permitted after the roads reopen at 6:30 p.m.
Tuesday, July 26 from 6 a.m. to 2 p.m.:
- Stadium Road, from 92 Street to 112 Avenue
- Muttart crossing, from Stadium Road to 106A Avenue
- 107A Avenue eastbound lanes, from 92 Street to 95 Street
- Expect travel delays along 112 Avenue and 111 Avenue, from 82 Street to 97 Street
- Expect travel delays along 95 Street and 97 Street, from 103A Avenue to 118 Avenue
Road closures outside Edmonton:
- The QEII will have road closures and limited access when the Pope travels from the Edmonton International Airport to his destination on July 24.
- On July 25, there will be restricted access to the QEII and Highways 611 and 2A near Ponoka, Maskwacis and Wetaskiwin.
- On July 26, there will be closures and limited access along Highways 16, 43 and 633 for the Pope's visit to Lac Ste. Anne.
- The QEII will have closures and limited access when the Pope leaves Edmonton on July 27.
Between July 24 and 27, rolling road closures will occur as the Pope’s motorcade passes by.
Parking restrictions will be in effect around Commonwealth Stadium and during the Papal Mass. Please consider using the park and ride service.
- Parking lots at Commonwealth Stadium and the Commonwealth Community Recreation Centre will be closed on July 25 at 1 p.m. until July 26 at 1 p.m. when the facility reopens.
- Stadium Park & Ride lot will be closed from 9 p.m. on July 25 until 2 p.m. on July 26.
- Residential parking restrictions will be in effect in the neighbourhoods around Commonwealth Stadium on July 26.
- On July 25, there will be no on-street roadway parking in the road closure area around Sacred Heart Church of the First Peoples.
Related activities and events
There are many opportunities for individuals to continue their journey towards learning and understanding. For residential school survivors and intergenerational survivors, there are also opportunities for safe spaces for community gatherings, places to access ceremony for community healing, and ways to celebrate cultural resilience and strength. Please visit edmonton.ca/PapalVisit for more information.