Miami Beach Senior High PTSA E-Newsletter
April 6, 2018 - Volume # 32
Last Grading Period of This Year!
April - July 2018 Calendar
- April 6, Registration deadline for May 5 SAT test.
- April 6-8, Home Show Parking fundraiser, see article below.
- April 7, Race for Education: Superintendent's Race for Education, 5K Run/Walk Challenge. Museum Park, see article below.
- April 10, PTSA Board Meeting, Room 306, 7:30-9 am. Everybody is welcome!
- April 11, Spring Town Hall Meeting, Biscayne Elementary School, 800 77th Street, Miami Beach, 6:30 pm. See flyer below.
- April 12, Drug Prevention and Intervention Workshop, Session 5: How Parents Can Discourage Teen Drug Use and Encourage Healthy Decision-Making in Their Children. Miami Beach Golf Club, 2301 Alton Road, 7 pm. See article below.
- April 13, Grad Bash meeting, registered Seniors, 8-9 am.
- April 14, ACT test, registered students.
- April 14, SAT Practice Exam at MBSH, 9 am - 1 pm. Register by April 11. Cost $25.00. See flyer below.
- April 15, MedPac Fundraising Event, 4:30-7:30 pm, 554 Lakeview Drive, Miami Beach. See flyer below.
- April 17, Miami-Dade College orientation for current seniors who will be attending Miami-Dade College in the fall Fall. Gym, 7:30 am - 12 pm. See article below.
- April 17, An Evening with Amnesty, gala and fundraiser, outside the auditorium, 6:00 pm. See article below.
- April 18-20, Musical.
- April 19, PTSA Fundraiser and Silent Auction, Sweet Liberty, 237 20th Street, 5-8 pm., see flyer below.
- April 19, Jazz Band Master Class, 6-8 pm.
- April 24, Silver Knights interviews, Jungle Island.
- April 24, Committee for Quality Education meeting, 9-11am, City Hall.
- April 25, EESAC meeting, 2:30 pm.
- April 25, Late registration deadline for May 5 SAT test (late fee required).
- April 26, Drug Prevention and Intervention Workshop, Session 6: What You Should Do if Your Child is Experimenting with Substances. Miami Beach Golf Club, 2301 Alton Road, 8 am. See article below.
- April 27, Grad Bash, Universal Studios. Registered senior students.
- April 30, College Signing Day.
- May 3, Registration deadline for June 2 SAT test.
- May 4, Registration deadline for June 9 ACT test.
- May 5, SAT test, registered students.
- May 5-18, Late registration deadline for June 9 ACT test (late fee required).
- May 7-18, AP and IB testing.
- May 8, PTSA Board Meeting, Room 306, 7:30-9 am. Everybody is welcome!
- May 17, Haitian Flag Day celebration, after school (tentative date).
- May 17, Silver Knight Awards Ceremony at the James L. Knight Center, 7 - 9 pm.
- May 18, Mock DUI, 8 am - 12 pm.
- May 19, Senior Prom, Miami Beach Convention Center, 7-11 pm.
- May 21-31, Awards Ceremonies.
- May 22, Underclassmen Awards Ceremony.
- May 22, Committee for Quality Education meeting, 9-11am, City Hall.
- May 23, EESAC meeting, 2:30 pm.
- May 23, Late registration deadline for June 2 SAT test (late fee required).
- May 24, Internship Fourth Quarter Grade Evaluation and Hour Log Due.
- May 25, Senior Picnic, Scott Rakow Youth Center.
- May 25, Drama/Thespian Banquet.
- May 27, IB - Scholars Banquet, for students, parents and faculty. 12 pm, Miami Shores Country Club. More info to follow.
- May 28, Memorial Day, no school.
- May 31, Senior Awards Ceremony.
- June 2, SAT test, registered students.
- June 1, 4 & 5, Graduation Rehearsals.
- June 6, Class of 2018 Graduation, 3-5 pm, Watsco Center at the University of Miami, 1245 Dauer Drive, Coral Gables. All seniors must report to the University of Miami Watsco Center Fieldhouse by 1 pm.
- June 7, End of Fourth Grading period and last day of school.
- June 8, Teacher Planning Day, no school.
- June 9, ACT test, registered students.
- June 15, Registration deadline for July 14 ACT test.
- June 16-22, Late registration deadline for July 14 ACT test (late fee required).
- July 14, ACT test, registered students.
Please note: all dates are tentative and may change!
2017-2018 NEW REVISED AB School Calendar
Miami Beach Senior High School Code is 101140 for both tests.
Seniors, if you want to say a speech at graduation, please see Ms. Duval or Ms. Sakowicz to pick up an application. Applications are due April 16 and auditions will be April 23.
Seniors - do you want extra graduation tickets? If so, please have you parents volunteer for helping with Home Show Parking this weekend. See Ms. Sakowicz in room 103 for more information.
You think you have what it takes to be a champion? If you are interested in playing soccer next year, see coach Botto in room 517. Spring workouts will start on Wednesday.
SAT and ACT after-school tutoring will return beginning Monday, April 9 in Room 560 with Mr. Dreeson. These sessions will continue on Mondays and Wednesdays through the end of May.
SAT Practice Exam at MBSH on Saturday, April 14, 9 am to 1 pm. Deadline to register is Wednesday, April 11. Cost $25.00. See flyer below for details.
Attention 9th Graders! We are still selling our long sleeve shirts for $15. You must purchase a shirt to participate in our end of the year trip. Shirts can be purchased in Room 248, Ms. Justilien's classroom.
Questions regarding student clubs or activities? Email our Student Government at
PTSA Social Event on April 19
Help raise funds for students at Beach High! Meet
parents and teachers in our community and have some fun! Happy hour prices - tickets are $40.00 for parents and $20 for teachers.
Taste some sweet treats prepared by our Culinary School.
Beach High Fundraiser and Silent Auction @ Sweet Liberty, 237 20th Street.
April 19, from 5-8 pm.
A letter from our Florida PTA President, Cindy Gerhardt
"I apologize. This newsletter should've been sent to you a few weeks ago. It was waiting on me. Since last month, it appears that most attempts at the routine, everyday simple tasks are a struggle. Even as much as I enjoy the opportunity to share my heart through writing, it has been a labor to find words, or even the motivation to compose them into something worth your time to read."
Read the full letter below
"As I marched, I held in my hand the funeral cards from a few of the services I attended last month in Broward County. I frequently looked down at Peter, Nick, Aaron and Chris. I will not allow myself to forget Peter's funeral, the sight of a 15-year-old child, in full ROTC uniform, guarded by his fellow classmates at each end of his casket. Whatever opinions I held the morning of February 14th, they are forever changed. Whatever goals I had that morning are forever altered. Whatever plans I had are forever amended."
PTSA Board Meeting Dates
All meetings are from 7:30 to 9 am.
April 10, 2018
May 8, 2018
Next PTSA Board Meeting:
Tuesday, April 10,
7:30 - 9 am
in Room 306.
Everybody is welcome!
Happy Retirement Ms. Gregory!
Academy of Hospitality and Tourism Lead Teacher Ms. Patricia Gregory retired last month. She was celebrated for the entire week by her students and fellow teachers. Her dedication to her students and the Academy will never be forgotten. She will be missed!
Traffic Around School
The City of Miami Beach Police Department together with MDCPS considers the safety of our students its top priority. Please work together with us to keep everyone safe.
The only authorized pick up/drop off area is on the west side of the campus along Prairie Avenue. Pick up and drop off occurs only on the right side of the street (going North) ensuring students exit on the side of the street with the sidewalk and enter through the west gates in front of the school only. There is only one entrance into the building which is in front of the main gate, where security is posted.
No drop offs should take place along Dade Boulevard (by bus ramp). This entrance is only for buses. Miami Beach Police are upholding city laws and ordinances issuing traffic citations for those dropping off in unauthorized locations or not following traffic laws such as u-turns in unauthorized locations or blocking the flow of traffic.
Please keep our students safe by following the rules. Also, please remember students need to be in their classrooms by 7:20 am to be considered on time.
These are Beach High staff and schedule:
- Nora Curia, Licensed Mental Health Therapist, Thursday & Friday, 7 am - 3 pm.
- Gabriel Lamas, Social Worker, Monday & Wednesday 7 am - 3 pm.
For more info, please visit Beach High Clinic or call 305-576.6611 ext. 9002.
National Walkout Day
Students from about 2,800 schools in the United States marked National Walkout Day on Wednesday, March 14, by leaving their classrooms at 10 am for 17 minutes to show solidarity for the 17 killed in the attack at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland.
The nationwide protest is both a memorial and protest action. Students and teachers across the nation walked out of their schools and universities to honor the lives of the 17 Stoneman Douglas victims and to demand lawmakers to pass stricter gun control laws.
See below photos of the peaceful Walk Out at Beach High and Student Government President Guido Dominguez giving his speech: "We can actually make a change - we're slowly starting to make progress".
An Evening with Amnesty
Amnesty International will be hosting a fundraiser for a scholarship for a graduating senior who will be pursuing a career related in some way to human rights. The event will be held on Tuesday, April 17 at 6 pm outside the auditorium. There will be food, live music, and live painting. We ask that everyone who is attending donate at least $10 to the GoFundMe below. Ms. Silveira, Ms. Haselmann, and Mr. C. Rodriguez will be giving extra credit for donating at least $10. If you wish to receive extra credit, please leave your teacher's name and period as a comment. We hope to see you all there!
Amnesty International is Beach High human rights club. It was founded by Alejandro Ortega and Melanie Haber in September 2016 and is sponsored by Ms. Jennifer Silveira. Within the past year and a half, we have hosted a multitude of activities, including a schoolwide immigrant pride day, a school supply drive for refugees, and presentations on indigenous rights and police brutality.
MedPac Fundraising Event
This event will be fun and it's for a great cause!! If you are unable to attend, please try to donate to the gofundme MedPac Fundraising Event, April 15, 4:30-7:30 pm, 554 Lakeview Drive, Miami Beach. Thanks!
Buy a Button and Support a Good Cause
Mrs. Lorenceau's special needs class is selling buttons supporting the end of gun violence, during all lunches and in her room 310. Please purchase a button and support this cause.
Let's congratulate the FCCLA members that earned medals at the State Leadership Conference:
Franchesca Rivera, bronze medal, Focus on Children
Gina Perez, bronze medal, Food Innovations
Kengy Barrera, bronze medal, Artistic Reflections
Chavelis Prieto and Ashnelys Ortiz, bronze medals in Chapter in Action
Sarah Birba and Ashley Lopez, gold medals in Artistic Reflections
Congratulations to Ms. Juliana Lemes on being MBSH candidate to the prestigious Elayne Weisburd Excellence in Education Award by the Miami Beach Chamber of Commerce. The Award Luncheon will take place on April 27. Good luck Ms. Lemes!
Congratulations to our Academy of Hospitality and Tourism for being honored at the Miami Beach Chamber of Commerce Hospitality and Tourism Meeting and at City of Miami Beach Commission for winning 1st place in the HTMP Competition.
Congratulations to ms. Baez and Audrey Ballarin on winning 2nd place in the Women's History Month Essay Contest.
We are pleased to announce that Jaime Fernandez has been selected as one of the top ten finalists for the 2017-18 Elie Wiesel Prize in Ethics Essay Contest. This talented young writer will be recognized at the annual Elie Wiesel Prize in Ethics Essay Contest Scholarship Awards Ceremony.
Congratulations to senior Guido Dominguez for winning the Jack Kent Cooke Scholarship.
Two Beach High students won the PTSA Reflection Awards of Merit. They are:
- Nicholas Gongee, Music Composition, The Sweetest Stretch
- Fei V. Petersson, Photography, Sleeping Beauty.
An award ceremony sponsored by the Florida PTA is scheduled for April 21 in Orlando, Sheraton Lake Buena Vista, 12205 Apopka-Vineland Road,Orlando, FL 32836.
The students will receive a certificate and a ribbon.
Congratulations to the following athletes that appeared in the Miami Herald All-Dade Winter Sports edition. Attached are the links for the articles.
1st Team All-Dade
Josue Aguilar, Senior
Leonardo Acosta, Senior
Toby Squire, Junior
2nd Team All-Dade
Alfredo Astaburuaga, Junior
Lucas Arellano, Senior
Kevin Herrera, Senior
3rd Team All-Dade
Jose Escobar, Senior
Kevin Rodriguez, David Cuervo, Francesco Tassara
1st Team All-Dade
Daishaun Felton, Senior
Congrats to Coach Botto and Coach Robbie and our student-athletes!
Congratulations to the following seniors
that represented Beach High in the 32nd annual
All-Star Soccer Game.
Josue "Chino" Aguilar
Congrats to Coach Botto and his athletes. See them in the photos on the right and below after the games.
Coaches Moore and D."I" Garcia are proud to announce that our Hi Tides Ladies Tennis Team convincingly defeated district rival Coral Gables. The girls extended their winning streak to three, dominating Gables in a 6-1 victory.
- At Number 1 singles Lily Werthamer won 8-1,
- At number 2 singles Kailyn Johnson won 8-2,
- At number 3 singles Ari Corona won 8-2 and
- At number 4 singles Amanda Collazo won 8-1.
- In doubles play, the Number 2 doubles team of Ari Corona and Amanda Collado won 8-1.
- Lastly, in a very tight match the number 1 doubles team of Lily Werthamer and Kailyn Johnson persevered and won 8-6.
The Hi Tides Girls Tennis Team also had a dominating performance defeating the Miami High Stingarees 7-0.
Students and faculty are welcome to come support the team at our beautiful bay front home court matches at Normandy Shores Tennis Courts.
Beach High Baseball Team defeated Key Wes
t on Saturday, March 31 by the score of 4-3. Go Hi-Tides!
Congratulations to the Flag Football Team on their win against Reagan Senior High beating them 19-7.
Photos of the Boys Volleyball Team:
Our students' graduation is only two months away. Our Seniors will be graduating at the Watsco Center at the University of Miami in Coral Gables on June 6. The cost of the ceremony is very high and in spite of a generous donation from PTSA, we are still $5,000 short. Activity Director Ms. Gussie Sakowicz and Student Government are working to raise these funds and were able to secure the Home Show Parking fundraiser just for the graduation. During the Home Show at the Convention Center, April 6-8, visitors will be able to park in our school parking lot for $10.
We need your help!
We need every Senior parent to sign up for a shift, as students are not allowed to collect money. We need at least 4 parents per shift.
Some shifts are not covered yet. You are still in time to sign up for Saturday and Sunday.
If you cannot participate but still want to help, please send your donation via check or PayPal and let Stella Gelsomino Dominguez know at
or Sheila Shardlow at
, so they can allocate it to the Graduation Fund and prepare your tax receipt - all donations are tax deductible.
The Class of 2018 Parent Committee
Checks: payable to MBSH PTSA and indicate "Graduation Fund"; mail it or drop it at Miami Beach Senior High, 2231 Prairie Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33139 (if dropping at main office, please specify it is for PTSA); or have your child hand it to Student Government President Guido Dominguez.
and indicate any membership, and the amount of your donation - any amount accepted! Then please let Sheila or Stella know you made the donation so they can allocate it to the Graduation Fund and prepare your tax receipt.
Miami-Dade College will be visiting Beach High (Gymnasium) on Tuesday, April 17, to conduct our new student orientation for all Class of 2018 seniors who will be attending Miami-Dade College next Fall. Parents and students in 12th grade are invited to attend. Once they attend this orientation, they will not be required to attend one on campus later in the summer. The orientation will be held in the school gym from 7:30 am to 12 pm.
Miami-Dade County Council PTA/PTSA is pleased to offer scholarships to students graduating in the 2017-2018 school year. This is a one time (non-renewable) award of $1,000 and may be used for tuition, textbooks, and other school-related materials, resources and fees. This award is specifically for a student who wishes to pursue their education at a University, Fine Arts School, Community College, or Vo-Tech.
Requirements for each student to apply for this scholarship include:
- Be a graduating senior from a high school having a PTSA in Good Standing* with the Florida PTA and the Miami-Dade County Council PTA/PTSA, which includes membership and county council dues having been paid by March 1st and local unit Bylaws are dated no earlier than April 15, 2015.
- Have attended a Miami-Dade County Public High School for the last two (2) years.
- Have a high school grade point average of 2.5 or better.
- Have applied to enroll as a full-time student in a postsecondary community college, vocational technical school or a four (4) year college or university.
- Submit all application materials by deadline date.
New deadline to apply: April 12
The Superintendent's 5K Challenge
Only one day left until the MiamiSup5K! You still have time to sign up for the biggest race for education in Miami! Visit the link below and secure your spot today.
The Foundation for New Education Initiatives (FNEI) and Miami-Dade County Public Schools' Superintendent Alberto M. Carvalho will team up once again to host the 3rd Annual Race for Education benefiting local public schools. FNEI will donate a percentage of race proceeds to participating schools based on the number or participants each school team registers.
Join Kim Haber and other fellow parents in the upcoming 5K race benefiting Beach High. We are running, walking or skipping on Saturday, April 7 from Museum Park. Attached is the flyer and all the details. All the money goes towards education, but part of the money benefits Beach High.
Please share with all your friends and family. The more the merrier.
Participants are encouraged to select a school, and run on behalf of that school's team. Teachers, parents and all stakeholders, please be part of this special event which provides the opportunity to raise funds for your school.
Race Start: 7:30 am.
Location: Museum Park, 1075 Biscayne Blvd.
Spring Town Hall Meeting
Dr. Martin Karp will be hosting a Spring Town Hall Meeting on Wednesday, April 11, at 6:30 pm at Biscayne Elementary School.
The topics covered will include:
- How will the school District's budget be impacted following this year's legislative session in Tallahassee?
- What safety measures and enhancements are being made in our schools?
- Can playing video games lead to aggression, addiction and other negative behaviors?
There will be district staff on hand to answer questions.
Please follow Dr. Karp at:
Board Member Martin Karp through Facebook
@Edu Karp through Twitter
Boardmembermartinkarp through Instagram
Drug Prevention & Intervention Program
The City of Miami Beach has funded a valuable drug prevention and intervention series for parents/guardians of Miami Beach teens. While most sessions are targeted at parents, two of the evening sessions are designed so parents and teens can attend together.
Session 5 - Thursday, April 12 at 7 pm
How Parents Can Discourage Teen Drug Use and Encourage Healthy Decision-Making in Their Children
- How to handle the most common objections related to teen experimentation with alcohol and marijuana. "But Mom, all the kids are doing it!"
- Explore the relationship between choices and consequences.
- How to set clear expectations and limits and encourage healthy decision-making in our children.
- What is normal experimentation and when parents should intervene?
Target Audience: Parents
Session 6 - Thursday, April 26 at 8 am
What You Should Do If Your Child is Experimenting with Substances.
- What are the signs and symptoms of a substance use disorder in teens?
- How to confront the problem and what you should do to intervene.
- What is the best response to the problem?
- How should I respond to substance experimentation in my teenager?
- What do I do if my child really has a problem and needs treatment?
Target Audience: Parents
Please click on the link below to watch Channel 6 broadcast on this Drug Prevention and Intervention program.
Standing up to Bullying and Bias
By Dr. Leslie D. Rosenfeld
Did you know that more than one out of every five students report being bullied at school? That's more than five million kids in the nation being threatened, pushed, called names and overall excluded. Students who experience bullying are at an increased risk for poor school adjustment, sleep difficulties, anxiety and depression. These shocking statistics make bullying the most common form of violence amongst young people in the United States.
Despite these national numbers, Miami Beach is No Place for Hate. With thousands of youth enrolled in Miami Beach public schools, fostering a bias-free environment by embracing diversity is a top priority. Dedicated educators, concerned parents and municipal leaders work persistently toward resolving the bullying epidemic through the Anti-Defamation League's (ADL) No Place for Hate Program.
2018 PTA Walk of Fame Awards & Recognition Ceremony
This year's gala will tale place on Thursday, May 24, from 4 to 11 pm at the Double Tree by Hilton Hotel - Miami Airport in the Royal Poinciana Ballroom. Each year, we join together to recognize local units, PTA leaders, school site personnel and highlight the phenomenal programs being offered to stakeholders.
Aside from recognizing achievements in leadership and community commitments, we are excited to also recognize our business and community collaborative partners.
Attend the gala and meet National PTA President Jim Accomando and Florida PTA President Cindy Gerhardt.
The PAMM Student Pass grants free admission to the museum for all students currently attending Miami-Dade County Public Schools. PAMM Student Pass holders receive free admission anytime they want to visit and may bring one adult guest for free with them. The pass holder must currently be attending a Miami-Dade County Public School, in grade Pre-K-12.
Free Access to PAMM for MDCPS Students
To enroll, students or parents may follow the PAMM Student Pass link in the Student or Parent portal, fill out the form, and bring it to PAMM. We will also have applications at the front desk of the museum during regular museum hours.
The 2nd Annual Youth Musical Festival
We rocked & rolled the North Beach Bandshell during our 2nd Annual Youth Music Festival on Saturday, March 17. What an amazing event! Over 2000 people coming out to show love to the incredibly talented Miami Beach youth musicians.
Thank you to everyone who joined us! We can't wait for the next one.
March for our Lives
On March 24, the streets of Miami Beach were filled with teachers, students and families fighting for gun reform. The rally started at Beach High, continue to Collins Park, and then head back to the school.
The City of Miami Beach has partnered with Marjory Stoneman Douglas alumni and Miami Beach High students to stage "March For Our Lives Miami", to end gun violence and the epidemic of mass shootings in our schools today.
Tens of thousands of students, parents and teachers turned out to "March for our Lives" demonstrations in Miami Beach, Westchester, Doral, and Parkland. Politicians, activists, and students called out for change and shouted, "Never Again!"