Miami Beach Senior High PTSA E-Newsletter
May 9, 2018 - Volume # 36
May - August 2018 Calendar
- May 14, Town Hall meeting, see flyer below.
- May 16, EESAC meeting, 2:30 pm. (rescheduled from May 23).
- May 16, PTSA General Meeting and 2018-19 Board Elections with "Cyberbulling" presentation, 6 pm. See flyer below.
- May 16, Rock Ensemble Concert, see flyer below.
- May 17, Silver Knight Awards Ceremony at the James L. Knight Center, 7 - 9 pm.
- May 17, MBSH Film Festival, 7pm, Auditorium. See flyer below.
- May 18, Mock DUI, 8 am - 12 pm.
- May 19, Senior Prom, Miami Beach Convention Center, 7-11 pm. See article below.
- May 21, Honor Societies Cords Ceremony, 6 pm.
- May 21, Psychology Club Stress Free Day. See flyer below.
- May 22, Underclassmen and Book Awards Ceremony, 9 am.
- May 22, Committee for Quality Education meeting, 9-11am, City Hall.
- May 22, End of the Year Speech & Debate Dinner and Ceremony.
- May 23, Athletic Awards, 8 am.
- May 23, Late registration deadline for June 2 SAT test (late fee required).
- May 24, Internship Fourth Quarter Grade Evaluation and Hour Log Due.
- May 24, Haitian Flag Day celebration, last block.
- May 25, Senior Picnic, Scott Rakow Youth Center, 8 am - 2 pm. See flyer below.
- May 25, Drama/Thespian event.
- May 27, IB - Scholars Banquet, for students, parents and faculty. 12 pm, Miami Shores Country Club. See article below.
- May 28, Memorial Day, no school.
- May 30, Brazilian Club Cultural Awareness, Auditorium.
- May 30, PTSA Transition Dinner.
- May 31, Senior Awards Ceremony.
- May 31, Senior meeting - following Awards Ceremony.
- June 2, SAT test, registered students.
- June 1, 4 & 5, Graduation Rehearsals.
- June 6, Class of 2018 Graduation, 3-5 pm, Watsco Center at the University of Miami, 1245 Dauer Drive, Coral Gables. All seniors must report to the University of Miami Watsco Center Fieldhouse by 1 pm.
- June 7, End of Fourth Grading period and last day of school.
- June 8, Teacher Planning Day, no school.
- June 9, ACT test, registered students.
- June 15, Registration deadline for July 14 ACT test.
- June 16-22, Late registration deadline for July 14 ACT test (late fee required).
- July 12 - 15, 2018 Florida PTA Leadership Convention, Palm Harbor, FL.
- July 14, ACT test, registered students.
- August 14, Scholars IB Summer orientation for incoming 9th graders, 9-11 am, Media Center. Students only.
- August 15, Scholars IB Summer Orientation for incoming 10th, 11th, and 12th graders, 9-11 am, Media Center. Students only.
- August 20, First Day of School.
Please note: all dates are tentative and may change!
TESTING CALENDAR - MAY 2018
(all dates are tentative)
2017-2018 Revised AB School Calendar
NEW! 2018-2019 School Calendar
Miami Beach Senior High School Code is 101140 for both tests.
Buy your 2018 Yearbook now! You can still buy a copy in Ms. Bush's Room 505. Cash only please - $80.
Need a gift for Mother's Day? Please stop by the SGA table to purchase a Publix
Day cake every lunch except on Friday. The cakes are only $8.
The 2018 Algebra 1 EOC Tests for
students in grades 9
will be administered on
Friday, May 11, through Wednesday, May 16.
Please ensure that
all students in grades 9
get plenty of sleep the night before testing. We look forward to seeing our students early each morning. A healthy and delicious breakfast will be served in the cafeteria free of cost.
All Mu Alpha Theta members must turn in their tutoring hours to Ms.Lemes by May 18th. Seniors who do not turn in their hours will not get their graduations cords.
Detention is held from Monday - Thursday in Room 288 from 2:30-3:30 pm. It is also held on Saturday Morning from 9-11 am at the same location. If you attend detention, then all excessive violations for tardies, dress code and missing ID badges will be cleared.
Questions regarding student clubs or activities? Email our Student Government at
PTSA General Meeting and Elections
Please join us at the next PTSA General Meeting on Wednesday, May 16 at 6-7 pm in the Media Center. We will present and vote on the slate of the 2018-19 PTSA Executive Board.
There will also be a special presentation on how to prevent and stop CYBERBULLYING by presenter Sofi H. Matz, LMHC Psychotherapist & Relationship Specialist. Parents and students will learn about prevention tips, protective strategies, helpful resources, and the psychology behind cyberbullying. Students will earn community service hours. All MBSH and all feeder pattern students and parents are encouraged to attend.
The MBSH Senior Prom will be on May 19 from 7 - 11.
This is a formal event and formal attire is required.
We will be raffling off 10 graduation tickets and one set of Taylor Swift tickets at Prom. The tickets will be for her Reputation Tour on August 18 at the Hard Rock stadium.
Prom Dress Code
1. Dresses that are strapless or with spaghetti straps are allowed.
2. Dresses made from see through fabric are NOT allowed.
3. Backless dresses are allowed if they do not expose skin below the waist.
4. Two-piece dresses are allowed if the rib & abdominal areas are covered.
5. Slits on dresses may be no higher than mid-thigh.
6. Appropriate dress shoes or dress sandals must be worn.
7. Necklines should be appropriate for a school-sponsored dance. V-necks may not be lower than the bottom of the breastbone.
8. No sunglasses
1. Tuxedos are allowed with the appropriate shirt, tie and cummerbund/vest.
2. Business suits (dress jacket and matching pants) with a dress shirt and tie.
3. No dress shirt of any type may be worn without a suit/tuxedo jacket and tie. 4. Dress shoes are to be worn. Sandals and sneakers of any kind are not allowed.
5. Baseball caps, headbands, bandanas, skullies and hats may not be worn.
6. No canes may be used as accessories.
7. No sunglasses or masks.
Need a Dress or a Suit? Or Prom Accessories?
Miami-Dade Public Schools has a Prom boutique available for all students that need a dress, suit or accessories. Please see Ms. Sakowicz in room 103 for more information and/or if you want to take a field trip there.
Prom Safety Please click below and read the Prom Safety Brochure
Buy Your Ticket to Senior Picnic
The Senior Picnic will be on May 25 from 8 am - 1 pm at Scott Rakow Youth Center. This is a casual event and comfortable, school appropriate attire is required. The fee includes: access to lunch, basketball, bowling, ice skating, and ping pong. No Refunds!
Both the Senior Picnic and the Prom are only open to graduating seniors with a 2.0 GPA, community service on file, less than 20 tardies, less than 10 absences with zero behavior issues reported.
Miami Beach Senior High Commencement Ceremony
Please read carefully below or download the file
June 6th, 2018
REPORT TO Watsco Center at UM BY 1:00 PM
Report to the Field House
The DO's and DON'Ts of GRADUATION 2018
*Please remember this if a FORMAL EVENT and should be taken seriously*
Prestigious Respectful Outgoing Unified Dynamic
White, pastel colored or light beige dress only
Knee length (anything shorter or longer will show)
Stay away from dark colors (remember the gowns are sheer)
Stay away from stripes/polka dots-they will show through your gowns and look like stains in pictures
NO SANDALS and NO SNEAKERS
Heels are preferred (make sure they are a manageable height)
NO CELL PHONES
White or beige dress shirts (collars & button down)
Blue or black dress pants
NO JEANS and/or SNEAKERS
Stay away from stripes/polka dots- they will show through your gowns and LOOK like stains in pictures
Stay away from dark colored shirt (remember the gowns are sheer)
NO CELL PHONES
IMPORTANT Ceremony Procedures
Tassels from right to left
Males take off caps for Pledge of Allegiance and National Anthem
NO portable technology i.e. cell phones and cameras on your person (will be taken prior to entering graduation)
DO NOT throw any items (CAPS, balloons, beach balls, etc.)
Acting out or inappropriate behavior will NOT BE TOLERATED-YOU MAY BE REMOVED FROM THE CEREMONY
We are the P.R.O.U.D GRADUATES, class of 2018. Let's show our parents, family, teachers, and dignitaries that the class of 2018 is an "A" Class. This is the time to show that we are DYNAMITE and show that all of our hard work is culminating in excellence.
Dr. Rodriguez has truly supported our class throughout the year and shown us how much she cares and how special each one of us is to the tradition of Miami Beach Senior High. Our respectful and dignified behavior will be our gift to our family, friends, teachers, and administrators.
Class of 2017, this is the time to be recognized for our great accomplishments and prove that we are truly DYNAMITE
Hi Tides for Life!
Diplomas will be distributed after the ceremony.
You MUST PRESENT YOUR CAP WITH YOUR NAME AND STUDENT ID# to
receive your diploma
To the torch of Scarlet and Silver
We lift our voices high
It sheds the light of learning
Though years may onward fly
Suns may rise and set on thee
Seasons pass eternally
But our hearts in reverie
Will hail Miami Beach High
To order final transcripts you MUST HAVE
NAME AND ADDRESS OF THE UNIVERSITY ON PAPER
VALID PICTURE ID
EACH TRANSCRIPT IS $2.00-CASH ONLY- EXACT AMOUNT
Days to preorder your transcripts:
May 31st after senior meeting in the auditorium
June 1st - June 5th from 10:00 am-12:00 pm in the GYM
June 11th throughout the summer from 10:30 am-11:30 am Mondays through Thursdays
Schedule for Graduation Procedures
PLEASE NOTE: YOU MUST BE IN ATTENDANCE FOR REHEARSAL TO WALK IN GRADUATION. ATTENDANCE WILL BE TAKEN EVERY MORNING.
Thursday, May 31st - Meeting after Awards Ceremony in auditorium. Report to 1st block. Seniors will be called down to the auditorium at approximately 7:45 am. The MEETING is MANDATORY!
Friday, June 1st - Rehearsal in auditorium/Gym: Report to 1st block. Seniors will be called down to the auditorium at approximately 8:00 am. MANDATORY REHEARSAL. Ticket distribution will begin at around 12:00 pm. THIS IS THE ONLY TIME TO GET GRADUATION TICKETS.
Monday, June 4th Rehearsal in gym: Report to 1st block. Seniors will be called down to the gym for rehearsal for the rest of the day. All seniors will report to second lunch. MANDATORY REHEARSAL.
Tuesday, June 5th - All seniors report to the gym during first block. Cap and Gown distribution will begin at around 12:00 pm. THIS IS THE ONLY TIME TO GET CAP AND GOWN/ TICKETS.
Early release (on 6/1, 6/5 and 6/5) only if parents signed students out ahead of time (see attached letter).
Graduation - Wednesday June 6th - Watsco Center at UM AT 3:00 pm, line up by 1:00 pm.
Watsco Center Venue Policies
The staff will be using metal detecting wands and bag checking prior to entering
The following is a partial list of items that are prohibited at all Watsco Center events and is subject to change. Please contact Guest Services for specific policies/information. For the safety of our guests, the Watsco Center does not permit the following items into the Arena.
Weapons, pepper spray/mace, flares, fireworks
Food, beverage, alcohol, cans, bottles, flasks, coolers, drugs, illegal substances
Pamphlets, stickers, product samples
Skateboards, rollerblades, bicycles, helmets, chairs, beach balls
Laptop/Tablet computers, 2-way radios, laser pointers, flashlights
Tablet computers larger than 9.56 inches (243 mm) (H) x 7.47 inches (190 mm) (W) X 0.34 inches (8.8 mm) (D)
Balloons, permanent markers, spray paint
Noise making devices: air horns, drums, whistles
Cameras: no flash/professional photography, tripods, monopods or selfie sticks.
Bags, backpacks, briefcases, duffle bags larger than 14" x 14" x 6"
Signs/Flags/Banners/Posters: may not be larger than 11" x 17" or attached to a pole/stick
Masks are prohibited and may not be worn at any time while inside the arena.
*Management reserves the right to amend the above policy without notice depending on individual event restrictions. In addition, Management reserves the right to restrict any article not specifically listed above.
Parking available in the Merrick and Pavia Lots - Please see map (on other side) Students must meet in the field house at 1:00 PM - Please see map (on other side)
For Parents and Guests - The main doors open at 2:00 PM, everyone must be seated by 2:45 PM
Hi Tides for Life!
Diplomas will be distributed after the ceremony.
On June 1, 4 & 5 there will be the mandatory Graduation Rehearsals. You can sign out your students now in the main office if you want your students to be early released after the rehearsals.
Please click here to download the early release procedure for senior students on June 1, 4 and 5:
Pre-clearance forms were delivered to your first period classes. They contain important graduation info. Please see your first period teachers or Ms. Sakowicz if you didn't receive it. Thursday is your last day to clear your obligations and complete your senior exit survey before the clearance forms are printed. Taking care of everything this week will save you a lot of time.
Also, please see Ms. Sakowicz if you need a correction for the way your name is printed in the graduation program.
SPOT ON...THE SCHOLARS-IB ACADEMY
The Senior Banquet
The traditional Scholars-IB Banquet for Senior students, their parents and teachers will be held on May 27 at the Miami Shores Country Club, 11:30 - 3 pm. The tickets are $37 per person and are now on sale in the Scholars office or in Ms. Carro's room 243 during both lunches; you can pay cash or through money order made to Scholars Academy. During the Banquet, we will honor our graduating Senior Scholars and IB students. We would love to have all the graduating Scholars and IB students participate in the event.
We look forward to sharing this afternoon with you and your family. It is the one time we can truly express the impact you have had on our lives and how grateful we are to have been a part of your educational path and lives. If you don't reserve your Scholars Banquet tickets, you will miss the most intimate, amazing luncheon of your senior year.
The Scholars-IB Parents Committee is asking all families to please consider sponsoring a student. We really feel that all Scholars-IB students should be part of this celebration, but we know that some students cannot afford to pay for the Banquet fee. If you can sponsor a student, please contact Ms. Carro or Mr. Rodriguez as soon as possible.
Senior Scholars Memory Book
As we traditionally create every year, a memory book for all graduating Scholars and IB students will be printed. Each student will have a page to fill in with photographs, collages, the logo of the college they are going to, email address, short messages (such as thank you notes or a motto) and so on. Students can use PicCollage or Befunky and email their layout by May 21 to email@example.com.
The Beach High Pre-IB Scholars Academy and IB Diploma Program will hold the following important orientations for new students who have been accepted to the program:
- August 14, Scholars IB Summer orientation for incoming 9th graders, 9-11 am, Media Center.
- August 15, Scholars IB Summer Orientation for incoming 10th, 11th, and 12th graders, 9-11 am, Media Center.
These orientations are for students only.
This Week is Teacher Appreciation Week
Please click on the link below and read the Sun Sentinel article:
"In the spirit of this movement, I ask that instead of a candle, chocolate or flowers, that you contact your local superintendent, school board member, state legislature, and/or governor. I ask that if you value teachers that you write letters, make phone calls, and/or write emails demanding that our public schools be funded adequately, that our teachers and school employees be compensated with a fair and adequate living wage and that our taxpayer dollars stop funding private for-profit charter schools. This would be the greatest gift you could give me or any public school teacher."
2018 PTA Walk of Fame Awards & Recognition Ceremony
This year's gala will tale place on Thursday, May 24, from 4 to 11 pm at the Double Tree by Hilton Hotel - Miami Airport in the Royal Poinciana Ballroom. Each year, we join together to recognize local units, PTA leaders, school site personnel and highlight the phenomenal programs being offered to stakeholders.
Aside from recognizing achievements in leadership and community commitments, we are excited to also recognize our business and community collaborative partners.
Attend the gala and meet National PTA President Jim Accomando and Florida PTA President Cindy Gerhardt.