Our summer’s work also included an important effort on the part of the District to support our teachers’ professional development. Seven teachers received in-depth training in Reader/Writer Workshop (RWW) at Teacher’s College in New York. Many other teachers participated in various trainings related to science, technology, math, literacy, and other content areas.
This school year will continue the PVSD tradition of rigorous learning opportunities for your children and innovation and growth for our staff. Of particular interest this year will be:
- Enriching students’ academic experiences through rigorous, hands-on learning opportunities - Portola Valley Schools Foundation has generously raised funds to provide additional teachers, specialists, and programs that make our schools extraordinary places for learning;
- Implementing our new social studies program in kindergarten - 8th grade;
- Commencing the design phase of our facilities upgrades connected with the successful Measure Z General Obligation Bond;
- Continuing sound financial management practices with formal policies in place to maintain our stable financial situation;
- Continuing to develop and improve our district’s emergency preparedness procedures;
- Continuing to promote student well-being and engagement with learning; and
- Improving communications at all levels.
As we begin this new year, our Board of Trustees and I wish you the greatest success on our learning journey in 2019-20.
Superintendent, Portola Valley School District