10550 Ray Road, Ponte Vedra, FL 32082 904-547-8300 - Main Office
Office Hours: 8:30a.m. to 4:45p.m.
Thanks to everyone who has contributed to improved technology at Nease! The PTSO received
17 Panther Pride banner orders since last week, raising $1700 in additional funds for new laptops. Plus, National Honor Society is donating $750 toward new laptops and the Media Center is donating $250 toward new laptops. All this new money will enable us to buy 5 more laptops immediately, bringing our total for the new cart to 10.
PTSO needs to sell 100 more banners to buy 20 more laptops which would fill the cart and enable teachers to check it out to use. Here's a small
sample of the ways students use laptops to enhance learning in the classroom:
- Chemistry students use Excel on the laptops for data processing and in-class research.
- Art students use the laptops to create portfolios and document their creative growth throughout the year.
- Financial Algebra students use the online finance calculators on the laptops to compare loan options for further discussion and analysis.
- Physics students use the laptops for data collection during lab experiments.
- English students use them to complete research and write essays.
Nease currently has seven computer carts (with 30 laptops each) for a rapidly growing population (now at 2900 students and 124 teachers). One science teacher said "We currently have an Outlook calendar to reserve the computers. Most days of the week the cart is in use." This is why Nease needs another computer cart for use by a broad range of students/classes this year and for many years to come.
Please help PTSO raise more money by purchasing your own Panther Pride banner! Here's more information on how you can help.
- A Panther Pride banner costs $100. PTSO will use its general funds to pay for the cost of the banner itself, so 100% of your donation goes toward more laptop computers. PTSO is a 5013c organization, so your donation is tax deductible.
- To order, please visit https://neaseptsoboard.wixsite.com/nhsptso/donations and pay the $100 via Paypal. After you pay, please email PTSO Volunteer Mary Natour what you want your banner to say: email@example.com. If you have any general PTSO questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Banners can be purchased by parents (or grandparents) of all grades - not just seniors. If you have a senior and want to put 2020 on the paw print, that's a new option.
- The next ordering deadline is Monday October 21. Your banner will be put up on the fence around the parent pickup loop by mid November and show your Panther Pride the rest of the school year.
PSAT Schedule – Wednesday, October 16
- The exam will take a little over 4 hours (9:20am to 1:30pm)
- 9th and 11th graders who paid and ALL 10th graders will take the exam. Students will be placed in rooms alphabetically. Room assignments will be posted Monday, October 14th.
- Students will not attend class on Wednesday until the exam is over, because we need most of the teachers to administer the exams, so the plan for everyone not testing is below
- Juniors and Seniors may attend one or all of the sessions listed below. When they are not attending a session, they will sit in the cafeteria for a study hall.
- College Applications – getting started
- Panther Hall Lab 229 at 9:30am, 10:45am and 12:00pm
- Bright Futures & Scholarships – how to apply
- Panther Hall Lab 231 at 9:30am, 10:45am and 12:00pm
- Naviance – access & basic navigation
- Panther Hall Lab 233 at 9:30am, 10:45am and 12:00pm
- Naviance – accessing career interest inventories & college info
- Panther Hall Lab 235 at 9:30am, 10:45am and 12:00pm
- 9th graders who are not taking the exam will be divided into 3 groups. Each group will rotate through the gym with Link Crew, the auditorium for a motivational guest speaker, and the cafeteria for a study hall.
- Lunch will be from 1:15pm (1:30pm for those testing) to 2:10pm and then EVERYONE will report to 7th period at 2:15pm for 42minutes.
- If parents want to check their children out after the exam, they MUST complete the Early Dismissal Form, which needs to be submitted to the attendance office either Monday or Tuesday, October 14th or 15th or earlier. We will not accept dismissal forms the morning of Wednesday, October 16th. We do not search for students during lunch for check-out & we never check-out students during 7th period unless the Early Dismissal Form is submitted. PLEASE complete the form and submit and your child will be waiting for you. The process is very easy.
Students need remember to bring:
Approved calculator (list is in the study guide, additional guides have been given out through English class, more available in PH226)
Snacks to be taken during break
Student testing locations will be in classrooms and on posters around the school:
Math Hallway Panther Hall – 9
A / B/ E/ F/ M Pods – 10th Grade
Front row Portables - 11
They say you can’t take it with you, but this coming October 30th you can!
Nease Theatre department will present the great comedy,
You Can’t Take It With You
at 7:00pm on Wednesday, October 30, Friday, November 1, and Saturday, November 2. We will also have a matinee show Sunday, November 3 at 2:00pm in the Performing Arts Center on campus. Tickets are only $5.00 at the door and you will laugh for 2 hours at this great American classic. The show is rated PG and is accessible for all “tweens” and older. Please come out and enjoy fantastic entertainment and support your Nease Performing Arts Department.
- Sales start Tuesday! Tickets will be sold during all lunches in front of the PAC and will be available until Thursday October 16.
- Tickets are $20 each. Cash or check is accepted. (Checks please make payable to “Nease High School”.)
- Students must have Student ID to purchase and all debts must be cleared. Debt lists are posted around campus.
- Students may buy one ticket for themselves and 1 ticket for another Nease student. A picture of student ID must be shown in order to buy a ticket for someone else.
- If purchasing ticket for a virtual or home-school student zoned for Nease, please see Mrs. Case at the table and have a photocopy of picture ID with address to verify zoning.
- Ticket sales are limited due to Fire Code Occupancy, so do not wait until the last minute!
- Contact Mrs. Case with any questions: email@example.com
to the 161 newest members that were inducted into our Nease chapter of National Honor Society! Last Thursday, Oct. 3
, our newest members were honored with an evening candle ceremony and we had the privilege of having Lewis Turner, local celebrity and anchor of First Coast News/Good Morning Jacksonville as our guest speaker.
With this induction, we now have an army of over 300 members ready to start serving and helping our community in any way, shape, or form they can help. For more information on our chapter of National Honor Society, please check out our webpage:
or contact Mrs. Carolyn Milian, our Adviser.
Fundraisers - Please support our Panthers!
Touchdown Club Fundraiser Disclaimer
The Meet Nease Legend Fundraiser has been funded by Golden Panther Booster Club dba The Touchdown Club (TDC), a recognized 501 (c) 3 program, as a sponsorship with Gift of Health Fundraiser organizers. TDC Board of Directors shall govern the conduct and operation of the Meet Nease Legend Fundraiser. Winner will be drawn at random on October 25, 2019 during halftime at the Nease Varsity home football game held at 10550 Ray Road, Ponte Vedra, FL 32081. Winner need not be present. Must be 18 years or older to win. All proceeds are considered charitable donations and will go directly to the Nease HS Football Program, Wildflower Healthcare and The Tim Tebow Foundation in a collective effort to make a difference in people’s lives throughout our community.
You can now watch sporting events that are held in the gym or football stadium. Simply go to nfhsnetwork.com, type Nease in the search bar for scheduled events. You can purchase a monthly or annual subscriptions.
Golden Panther Booster Club is hosting its annual golf cart giveaway. Tickets can be purchase from any of your athletic team booster club members. You can purchase single tickets for $5 or a pack of 5 for $20. Please contact Matt McCool at 904-547-8314 for information.
Track & Field
– There will be an interest meeting immediately after school on Wednesday October 23 in the cafeteria. Conditioning will be after school on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays beginning on November 11
– Parent/Player meeting will be Oct 21
at 6pm in the Weight Room.
– Conditioning for interested players on Friday, October 11 and Friday, October 18 from 4:00-5:00 pm in the weight room. Tryouts will begin October 21 with season immediately to follow.
– Nease is proud to announce the addition of Coach Anir Sanchez as the Boys’ Head Tennis Coach. Coach Kypriss will continue to be the Head Girls’ Coach.
The Boys’ team finished 3rd in the District are returning all 5 starters while the Girls are returning 4 starters and finished District and Regional Runner-Ups.
Conditioning will begin on Tuesday, December 3rd. Time and Location will be announced soon.
– Tryouts, grades 9-12, will be held on Monday and Tuesday, Oct. 28 and 29, in the Nease gymnasium from 4-6 p.m.
All participants must complete the athletic clearance process on AthleticClearance.com. Visit NeaseAthletics.com and select the “Register” tab for more information.
Be a part of a winning tradition –
NEASE GIRLS’ BASKETBALL!!!
Panther Pride Banners:
Let's Fill up the Fence with Panther Pride banners! PTSO is coordinating a special fundraiser to raise money for much needed laptops used for classroom special projects. Banners will be put in the fence around the parent pickup loop all school year. Deadline for the next banner order is
Mon Oct 21.
For more info on how to order:
Test Prep Simplified is holding prep classes geared towards the SAT and PSAT. In the 2 hour power classes your student will learn the format and scoring of the specific test, learn strategies and apply them to practice tests. Your student will also learn time management and test anxiety strategies. Class dates are
Oct 31 SAT (4-6pm
). To register visit
PTSO is looking for 10 dependable student volunteers to assist at the Fall Festival at Markland to Benefit St. Augustine Humane Society. The event is
and volunteers would need to arrive at Markland
at 9 am
through 4 pm
. Their duties would be helping vendors set up and take down tents, cleaning up, and working a few carnival games and craft stations. Markland will provide volunteer hours and completed volunteer forms will be ready for the students at the end of the day. If interested, please contact PTSO member Joyce Barry at
, and provide student first and last name/phone number, grade, parent/guardian name/phone number. Deadline is
Fri. Oct. 11.
PTSO Social Media: Join the Nease PTSO Social Media sites to learn more about Nease-related events: Facebook: Nease High School PTSO Instagram: @nease_ptso Twitter: @NeasePtso
- All IB seniors received their college application “gold envelope.” There is at least a 2 week turnaround for the processing of the envelope. Please allow for this prior to submission.
- Seniors!!. Your third deposit of $250 is due by October 30th for the New York Trip.
- Habitat for Humanity Build Dates are available: November 9th, December 7th, and December 14th. Students can sign up here: https://habitatstaugustine.volunteerhub.com/
- Nominations for the Youth Leadership Jacksonville Program will be soon. Freshman can submit a one-page essay to Mrs. Kennedy, addressing how they meet the criteria and why they would like to be committed to this program. If nominated, information packets will be distributed to those Freshman. A date will soon be announced as to when the nomination essay is due.
All IB Students & Parents
- Our third IB Booster meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, October 29th, 2019 at 10:00 a.m. in the Media Center Classroom. All visitors will be required to sign-in, so please bring your I.D.
Upcoming Academy Field Trips/Guest Speakers
- Rulon International Tour – Engineering Academy students (Oct 17th)
- Hilton Garden Inn Field Trip – Hospitality Academy Technology students (Oct 22nd)
- Old Town Trolley Tour and Management Guest Speaking Event – Hospitality Academy students (Oct 28th)
- UNF Communications College Tour – Communications Academy Wired/Sports Media Juniors & Seniors (Oct 29th)
- WJCT Studio Tour – Communications Academy Digital Video Technology 1 students (Nov 5th)
- Guest Speaker Sarah Butler, Communications Specialist St. Johns County – Communications Academy Digital Design 5th and 6th periods (Nov 6th)
- UNF Digital Design College Tour – Communications Academy Digital Design Juniors & Seniors (Nov 12th)
- Jaguars Stadium Tour – Hospitality Academy students (Nov 14th)
- Jaguars Stadium Tour – Communications Academy Sports Media students (Nov 19th)
- Jaguars Stadium Tour – Communications Academy Digital Design students (Dec 3rd)
Guest Speaker events take place during certain periods, according to the guest speaker’s availability. Students whom do not have Academy classes during those periods, but are interested in attending the guest speaker event, can pick up a guest speaker pass from their Academy teacher. Field trip forms will be made available to students 2-3 weeks before field trips take place. Academy teachers will distribute forms in class to interested students.
Academy Coordinator | Nease High School
July 2019 EOC Results
Scores are available to view in HAC. If you would like a hard copy please send a written request to guidance.
Please visit the testing website on the Nease homepage for parent consent forms to request testing accommodations for ACT & CollegeBoard (AP / PSAT / SAT) exams.
is being held on November 4, 2019 9.00am, in the PAC
Students taking this test will need to make their own arrangements for this test as buses may not arrive in time. Students
be admitted if they are late to arrive. The test is only available for students in 10 / 11 / 12
grade, and is administered and scored by the military, the test is free of charge. Please check on my ASVAB testing page on the school web site for me details of this test.
SJVS Segment Exams
– students should arrange their segment exam with Mr. Garth in PH234. These are administered each Wednesday morning at 8.30am. Students must book a seat for the exam and are not allowed to just turn up. As we move towards the second quarter, please be mindful of your pacing guide and complete your segment exam, prior to district exams.
Upcoming Scholarships & College Visits
- Coca-Cola Scholars Foundation- Deadline October 31
Juniors and Seniors can sign up via Naviance to attend an on-campus visit with a college.
Upcoming College Visits at Nease
- University of Chicago - October 15th, 12:25pm
- Samford University – October 17th, 11:55am
- Bucknell University – October 17th, 12:25pm
- Florida Institute of Technology – October 17th, 12:55pm
- Univerisyt of Califormia, Santa Barbara – October 18th, 11:55am
Here are the School Counselor caseloads and appointment links:
Temporary School Counselor Assignments:
D’Erica Gibbs: Students with the last names Co-Cul
Linda Smith: Students with the last names Cun-Dod
Daphne Harden: Students with the last names Doh-Ex
Athena Kifah: Students with the last names Ez-Fua
Kim Hollis: Students with the last names Fue-Gou
The Spring Dual Enrollment schedule is live!! Current fall DE students, please come see Mrs. Gibbs to receive a registration form. If you have questions, please stop by Mrs. Gibbs office (room C101) or send her an email:
financial aid season!
On Tuesday, October 1
, the Bright Futures Application and the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) open up for the 2020-2021 school year.
We discussed both of these applications with seniors when we met with seniors individually in September. Students have a handout with the Bright Futures information on it to serve as a guide. We have additional information available in counselor corner in the cafeteria during all 3 lunches.
In order to apply for State Scholarship & Grant Programs (Bright Futures), a student must first
Create a Student Account/Profile
at the following link:
. Click on State Grants, Scholarships & Applications. Click on
Create a Student Account.
Students will receive an email with their User ID and temporary password. After creating a
, students will have the option to continue directly to the FFAA.
The application typically takes 10 minutes or less to complete, so students are welcome to come to counselor corner and complete the application with their counselor or do it on their own from home. Students DO NOT need to have met the requirements prior to applying for the scholarship. While we encourage students to meet the requirements for the scholarship as soon as possible, students have until the June SAT/ACT test dates to continue to try and earn the required test scores. As a reminder, students need qualifying GPA, SAT or ACT, and Community Service Hours in order to earn the scholarship. Any student that meets those requirements and applies will earn the scholarship.
In order to apply for the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), a student AND a parent must first create an FSA ID. Students and parents can do that online here:
. This is something that can be completed in Counselor Corner and can be completed in advance of October 1
. Parents who have older students may have already completed this process previously. Once students and parents have their FSA ID, they can complete the FAFSA on-line here:
. While this is a longer application then we typically complete at school, there are events to help parents and students complete this application if they want assistance. One of those events is FAFSA Frenzy at St. Johns River State College. It will be held on October 17
at 6pm at the St. Augustine campus. Participants should bring their social security number, driver’s license number, 2018 tax returns, bank statements, records of untaxed income, and FSA ID.
Please make sure you are checking the e-mail address that you provided to your Naviance account as we will start sending larger senior specific updates through Naviance this week. Returning students should have received their Naviance registration code last spring in order to set up their accounts. If you need that information again, you can get it from your counselor. Once you have registered, you can continue to access your account here:
Students should also continue working on their college applications if they have not already been submitted. There are several deadlines that are coming up between now and November 1
. If your test scores are not where you want them to be, now is the time to register for the next SAT and ACT. You can register for the SAT at
and the ACT at
This is your year! This will be the last full year that colleges see on your high school transcript prior to applying for college. It is important to make sure that you are doing your best. As we move throughout the school year, we will start encouraging you to take your SAT and ACT and going on college visits to schools that you may be interested in.
This will be your year to take the PSAT and start thinking about your future after high school. It is important to make sure and keep your grades up so you keep your opportunities open.
Welcome to high school! From this point forward, all of your grades are a part of your permanent high school transcript that college will see when you apply. It is really important to start strong so that you do not spend the remainder of high school playing catch up. We are looking forward to getting to know you and helping you navigate this adventure!
Updated District Report Card timeline due to Hurricane Dorian
Last day of 1st quarter remains Friday, October 11th
Monday, October 14th is now a student day.
Grades are due from teachers on Friday, October 18th
Report cards available on HAC Tuesday, October 29th
Carolyn Milian – School Librarian Media Specialist
Lorna Patterson – Media Clerk
MEDIA CENTER DONATIONS AND HELP
WE NEED YOU!!
Our media center is quite the busy hub!! We have been averaging between 200-300 students in here a day and
we would LOVE to have some parent/college student volunteers help us out at the circulation desk during our busiest times
before school and
during all lunches
If you are able to help us out, please click on the link below and select a day and time you could come help us out.
We are still in need of some supply donations to get us through the school year. If you can donate any of the following items that we use daily in the media center, we would be MOST grateful:
· Paper towel rolls
· Plastic spoons/forks
MEDIA FINES/HOMECOMING DEBT LIST
You can now pay for those lost/damaged textbooks, lost library books, or duplicate student ID’s online. Click on this link to take you to our online school pay account. Please be sure to include student number and name and what the payment is for.
Homecoming Dance tickets are now on sale and students with any media debt (or other school debt) will not be able to purchase tickets. If you have any questions regarding media debt, please contact Mrs. Milian at 904-547-8367.
service for all our students takes place EVERY Tuesday and Thursday after school, and during ALL lunches on Mondays and Wednesdays. National Honor Society students will be on hand
for each session to provide tutoring and academic support to any of our Nease Panthers. No appointments are necessary. Students in need of help should report to the media center on those days to be matched up with a tutor. If these times are not convenient for some students, please contact Mrs. Milian at
to discuss the possibility of other days and times.
“The European Union & the World At-Large" Dinner and Dialog: Great Decisions Kickoff Dinner:
5:30pm Wednesday October 16th, 2019 at WJCT Studios
Students and parents are responsible the students' own transportation.
Join the Schoology group “Great Decisions Nease” 5VTWW-9SNBQ
Dinner & Dialogue “The European Union & the World At-Large" -- Featuring German Cuisine and Juliane Schäuble, she has been reporting for the Berlin-based daily newspaper Der Tagesspiegel from Washington, D.C. since June 2018. Before her current position, she most recently headed the political department, where she was responsible for the front page and the political section. She has more than 10 years of experience in the business and political department. Ms. Schäuble has developed and continues to organize political conferences on a regular basis in cooperation with the Freie Universität Berlin and the Schwarzkopf-Stiftung. She earned her Master’s degree in Political Science at the University of Potsdam, Germany. Her studies included one semester at American University in Washington, DC, where she took classes in American foreign policy and worked part time for the American Council of Young Political Leaders. In 2009 and 2010, she was trained in the Media Manager Program of the publishing house Georg von Holtzbrinck. In 2006, she was a Fellow of the Johanna Quandt Foundation for economic journalists. Ms. Schäuble has taken part in numerous leadership programs, including the Manfred Wörner Seminar of the German Marshall Fund and the Armed Forces Office of the German Defense Ministry; Atlantik-Brücke’s German-American Young Leaders Conference; the Collaborative Leadership Program of Leadership Berlin – Netzwerk Verantwortung; and the Young Leaders Conference of the Council for the United States and Italy.
WHEN: Wednesday, October 16th, 2019 @ 5:30 PM
WHERE: WJCT Studios, 100 Festival Park Avenue
As of October 3, we have 49 seats left for the GradBash trip. October 31 will be the deadline for accepting reservations as we have to finalize busses, tickets, etc. Get your reservation in and enjoy 10 hours of unlimited fun at BOTH parks…PS all muggles and wizards…the new Harry Potter ride is scheduled to be open also.
The School Pay links are now available to pay senior dues online. Please note,
THERE ARE TWO OPTIONS
this year…The first is $50 and is for graduation only. The second option is $75 and covers all graduation costs, senior t-shirt, spring carnival, raffles, etc.
LAST DAY OF SCHOOL FOR SENIORS is Tuesday, May 12th.
MANDATORY GRADUATION REHEARSAL is Monday, May 18th at 1:30pm at UNF.
is Friday, May 22nd 7PM at UNF. Seniors need to be there at 6pm.
Please join the Remind group if you have not already done so…text @9bdfbf8 to 81010
Seniors, join the Class of 2020 Schoology group for easy access to senior class information and for the opportunity to vote for class motto. The Schoology access code is: 3X7B-KCXN-32JZZ
See Mrs. Bourquin in D7 for help if needed.
What is happening at Nease this week
Monday, October 14th
- ROTC FT to Mariner House in Boston, MA
- National Art Honor Society FT to St Augustine Wild Reserve
- Lunches: Homecoming tickets sales in PAC courtyard - $20
Tuesday, October 15th
- Boys Golf - Districts
- Lunches: Homecoming tickets sales in PAC courtyard - $20
Wednesday, October 16th
- Girls Golf - Districts at Queeen's Harbor CC
- Lunches: Homecoming tickets sales in PAC courtyard - $20
- PSAT - the only class we attend is 7th period
Thursday, October 17th - Media Center CLOSED during lunches!
- Engineering FT to Rulon International Tour
- Reality Fair for Econ classes in Media Center
- 8am - SAC meeting in conf room 104 in main office
- Lunches: Homecoming tickets sales in PAC courtyard - $20
- 6pm - Test Prep for Success in B-104
Friday, October 18th
- 4:15pm to 6:15pm - Homecoming Tailgate activity behind Panther Hall
- HOME; 7pm - Football vs St Augustine
Saturday, October 19th
- Anime Club FT to WasabiCon in JAX
- ROTC Drill Meet at Nease
- ROTC FT to South Effingham Aire Rifle Meet in Guyton, GA
- 8am - Cross Country JV Championships at Bishop Kenny
- 7pm to 10:30pm - Homecoming Dance