BALTIMORE, MD, September 18, 2018
- Todd Parchman, Partner at Parchman, Vaughan and Company, L.L.C., has joined the board of the Conserve School and the Conserve School Trust
The mission of the Conserve School, set by its founder and benefactor, James Lowenstine, is "Inspiring young people to environmental stewardship through academics and engagement with the forests, lakes, and wildlife of Lowenwood." Lowenwood occupies 1,200 wooded and lakeside acres on the border of Wisconsin and Michigan's Upper Peninsula. Conserve School is accredited by AdvancED and the American Camp Association.
Conserve School carries forward James Lowenstine's legacy for students through:
- Understanding of the science of natural resource conservation,
- Commitment to protecting the environment,
- An inclination toward careers that help conserve the natural world; and,
- Enjoyment of outdoor activities.
Conserve School students have demonstrated a genuine interest in the natural world and are motivated to conserve it. This semester-long immersion in environmental studies and outdoor activities deepens students' love of nature, reinforces their commitment to conservation, and equips them to take meaningful action as environmental stewards. The program interweaves college-preparatory academics with the study of environmental history, nature literature, and the science of conservation, environmental service work, exploration of careers related to conservation, training in teamwork and leadership, and engagement with the outdoors.
Conserve School students become part of a community that heightens their sense of identity and self-worth and imparts the confidence they need to go forward and make a difference, not only as stewards of the environment, but also as stewards of their own destinies. A one-semester program for high school juniors, Conserve School also accepts mature sophomores.
Other members of the Board include:
- John Buxton, Managing Trustee and Co-Chair of the Board. Mr. Buxton headed Culver Academies from 1999-2016 and during that time served as the Chair of the Boards of the Independent Schools Association of the Central States, the Association of Military Colleges and Schools, and the Leadership Marshall County. He also served as a Board member of The Association of Boarding Schools.
- James Dicke II, Co-Chair of the Board. Mr. Dicke is the Chairman and CEO of the Crown Equipment Pty. Ltd. Mr. Dicke has served on the Boards of Trinity University and the Culver Educational Foundation. He is a Commissioner of the Smithsonian American Art Museum.
- William Osborn, former Chair and CEO of Northern Trust Corporation and the former Chair of the Northwestern University Board of Trustees.
- James Schacht, Executive Director and General Manager of Cummins Marine and Oil and Gas Market Segments Globally. Mr. Schacht has served on the Boards of the Park Tudor School and the Culver Educational Foundation.
- Barry Richter, President/Business Consultant Hausmann-Johnson Insurance, Madison, Wisconsin. He is Advisory Board Co-Chair, American Family Children's Hospital; and Board Member, Madison Area Sports Commission. He is a 1994 Winter Olympian--USA Hockey.
- Thomas Sullivan, Vice President, Corporate Development RPM International, Inc. He serves as a Board Member for the Sullivan Scholars, the Thomas C. and Sandy Sullivan Charitable Foundation, and the Restoration Committee for St. Patrick's Church in Cleveland, Ohio.
- Steve Fuhrman, former CEO of Central Steel & Wire.
- Kevin Powers, former CFO of Central Steel & Wire.
About James Lowenstine
The Conserve School Trust is the legacy of James Lowenstine, a Chicago industrialist and philanthropist who passed away in 1996. Mr. Lowenstine directed that the bulk of his estate be used to operate a school on his 1,200-acre property in the Northwoods of Wisconsin. Mr. Lowenstine was a 1942 graduate of Culver Military Academy, a proud and generous supporter of that school, and a United States Army World War II veteran and Bronze Star recipient.
About Parchman, Vaughan & Company, L.L.C.
Parchman, Vaughan & Company, L.L.C., a FINRA member firm based in Baltimore, Maryland, was formed in 1996 to provide the highest level of investment banking expertise to companies in the business of education and human capital. For more information about Parchman Vaughan, please visit
Conserve School Lowestine Academic Building
Aerial Big Bateau At Top of Campus
Conserve School Academic Building Interior