Grace Episcopal Church
For the Week of May 10, 2020
Sunday, May 10, Easter 5
Holy Eucharist 8 & 10:30
All services will be live streamed
Evening Prayer 5 pm
Are you having trouble accessing Facebook live?
Zoom Coffee Hour
We will have a Zoom Coffee Hour at 10 am
Grab a cup of coffee and check in with your pew buddies!
May 10 - United Thank Offering Spring 2020 In-gathering
Our UTO In-gathering will be Sunday, May 10. We who are
thankful for blessings can stay at home and support this
ministry by depositing the contents in our Blu
e Box and sending a check to
Grace Episcopal Church,
123 Washington St., Lexi
ton, VA 24450, with UTO on the memo line OR you
can donate online on our
website. Remember your Blue Box! Not only do our blessings expressed in "thanks" and "giving" widen the circle of thankful people worldwide, but sometimes they come back home.
Digital Offerings from our Diocese during Eastertide
During the Eastertide season the Diocese of Southwestern Virginia is offering Holy Eucharist with Bishop Bourlakas presiding at 10 am and Virtual sessions for Children and Youth on Zoom on Sundays. See www.dioswva.org
Morning Prayer, Monday - Friday, 8:30
Did You Know?
Did you know that you can pay your pledge or make a donation to Grace Episcopal Church online? Go to
From the list on the top right hand side click on
Godly Play, Wednesday, 3 pm
Study of Acts, Wednesdays, 6:30 pm
We will continue our study of Acts on Wednesdays at 6:30 pm.
From Our Minister of Music, Martha Burford
- Mothers Day video link will post by Sunday morning. Thank you to all who sent photos!
- Martha is looking for input on hymns. This google doc link takes you to a place where you can share the name or first line of a hymn that has formed you. We can all learn about the song prayers that form us as individuals and as a community of seekers. Plus, Martha will refer to this page in choosing lectionary relevant hymns for our services. To see what Alice Furgerson and Mary Stuart Gilliam have written and to add your own go to: Google Doc
- Martha's Writing/Book Club for kids is meeting on Tuesdays at 4 and Fridays at 1:30. The students participating in this group are 3rd-5th graders--and range from Fairfax to Asheville to Lexington. (We have some grandchildren on board.) There's room for more, and Martha would love to start a 6th-7th grade group, too. Contact Martha for details. (Martha taught English for many years at St. Catherine's, Richmond, and Orchard House, Richmond. She misses this part of her vocation and sees this endeavor as both a service to students and parents and a source of joy in servant ministry.
- Martha's Writing/Book Club for kids would LOVE to have guest visitors from time to time. Have a favorite poem? Short essay? Excerpt from a book you read when you were in 3rd-5th-6th grade? Contact Martha and she'll schedule you for a guest appearance! OR you could even record it ahead of time and send it to her if the zoom times don't work in your schedule. First volunteer wins a prize from **sammysoap: https://sammysoap.com
- Want to be one of the psalm readers? It means making a recording on your phone or computer and sending it to Martha. Contact her if you want to be on the schedule. Same goes for music--if you want to sing something or play something, record it, and it will show up in a service and possibly with a video on youtube.
- The following are links to daily offices Martha designed and coordinated for the Diocese of Virginia Clergy Retreat. You'll recognize many voices and places. First person to email Martha with the name of the reader of the poem by Antonion Machado wins a prize from sammysoap.
- Afternoon Prayers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GTSdJ2Sj1I&t=6s
- **Sammysoap is a wonderful company in Missouri that makes (from their website): 100% natural, fair trade soaps and employs adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities
Check out Grace's You Tube Channel!
Hospice Virtual Support Group
is offering a virtual grief support group on Mondays, at 1pm. Each weekly session will cover a different topic with time to share. If you are interested in joining, please email Susan Bedell, LCSW at email@example.com to get the invitation link.
New Plantings - Lions Head Japanese Maple, English Laurel and Pyramidal Boxwood, Oh My!
Though we are not together work continues to beautify our church campus. New plants were recently installed in front of the Parish Hall. Old, overgrown plants were removed and new plants that will enhance the architectural details of the building were added. Thank you to Elizabeth Boestch and the Property Committee!
Census Workers Needed in Lexington City and Rockbridge County
Birthdays for the week of May 10
Anne Hershbell (5/12) Caroline Russell (5/13) Gordon Woodcock (5/13) Jenny Mastin (5/15) Ginny Price (5/16) Elaine Price (5/16) John Dickerson (5/17)