Grace Episcopal Church
For the Week of May 17, 2020
Sunday, May 17, Easter 6
Holy Eucharist 8 & 10:30
8 & 10:30 will be live streamed on
The opening hymn for 10:30 is one of Alice Furgerson's beloved hymns. You can share yours at this link: Share your beloved hymns
Family Evening Prayer 5 pm
Are you having trouble accessing Facebook live?
Zoom Coffee Hour
We will have a Zoom Coffee Hour at 10 am
Grab a cup of coffee and check in with your pew buddies!
Regathering Plans and Considerations: A Message from Bishop Bourlakas
Pentecost Sunday, May 31
Send us a picture, a word, a phrase, a slice of life from one of your cross-cultural experiences of Church.
United Thank Offering Spring 2020 In-gathering
Our UTO In-gathering was Sunday, May 10. If you would like to donate please send a check to
Grace Episcopal Church, 123 Washington St., Lexington, VA 24450,
with UTO on the memo line OR you
may donate online on our
website. Remember your Blue Box! Not only do our blessings expressed in "thanks" and "giving" widen the circle of thankful people worldwide, but sometimes they come back home.
Digital Offerings from our Diocese during Eastertide
During the Eastertide season the Diocese of Southwestern Virginia is offering Holy Eucharist with Bishop Bourlakas presiding at 10 am and Virtual sessions for Children and Youth on Zoom on Sundays. See www.dioswva.org
Morning Prayer, Monday - Friday, 8:30
Did You Know?
Did you know that you can pay your pledge or make a donation to Grace Episcopal Church online? Go to
From the list on the top right hand side click on
Godly Play, Wednesday, 3 pm
Study of Acts, Wednesdays, 6:30 pm
We will continue our study of Acts on Wednesdays at 6:30 pm.
From Our Minister of Music, Martha Burford
- Martha's Writing/Book Club for kids is meeting on Tuesdays at 4 and Fridays at 1:30. The students participating in this group are 3rd-5th graders--and range from Fairfax to Asheville to Lexington. (We have some grandchildren on board.) There's room for more, and Martha would love to start a 6th-7th grade group, too. Contact Martha for details. (Martha taught English for many years at St. Catherine's, Richmond, and Orchard House, Richmond. She misses this part of her vocation and sees this endeavor as both a service to students and parents and a source of joy in servant ministry.
- Martha's Writing/Book Club for kids would LOVE to have guest visitors from time to time. Have a favorite poem? Short essay? Excerpt from a book you read when you were in 3rd-5th-6th grade? Contact Martha and she'll schedule you for a guest appearance! OR you could even record it ahead of time and sendit to her if the zoom times don't work in your schedule. First volunteer wins a prize from **sammysoap: https://sammysoap.com
- Want to be one of the psalm readers? It means making a recording on your phone or computer and sending it to Martha. Contact her if you want to be on the schedule. Same goes for music--if you want to sing something or play something, record it, and it will show up in a service and possibly with a video on youtube.
- The following are links to daily offices Martha designed and coordinated for the Diocese of Virginia Clergy Retreat. You'll recognize many voices and places. First person to email Martha with the name of the reader of the poem by Antonion Machado wins a prize from sammysoap.
- Afternoon Prayers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GTSdJ2Sj1I&t=6s
- **Sammysoap is a wonderful company in Missouri that makes (from their website): 100% natural, fair trade soaps and employs adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities
Christmas in May for Boys Home
Tired of waiting for Christmas and the chance to shop and buy Christmas gifts? Boy, do we have an opportunity for you!. See the Wish List list below from Boys Home. During this particular time, nothing could be more appropriate than sending some early
Christmas Joy to all the Boys at Boys Home.
We would like to fulfill all requests by next Sunday, May 24th. If you wish to purchase items on the list, please drop them in the "Boys Home" bin inside the side door of the Parish House. If you prefer to make a donation toward the purchase of items, select "Community Outreach" from the drop-down menu on the church website at
Donations to this fund between Friday, May 15th and Sunday, May 24th will be used to purchase items remaining on the
The Christian Outreach Committee thanks you for your support of the Boys Home ministry!
Boys Home Summer 2020 Wish List
Jump drives (Any Type)
Pencils and pens
Desk size pencil sharpeners (need 10) (Electric)
3-ring binders (1- and 2- inch)
TI-83 and TI-84 graphing calculators (need 5 to 10)
Individual toothbrush holder tubes
Check out Our Mother's Day Video on Grace's YouTube Channel!
Hospice Virtual Support Group
is offering a virtual grief support group on Mondays, at 1pm. Each weekly session will cover a different topic with time to share. If you are interested in joining, please email Susan Bedell, LCSW at firstname.lastname@example.org to get the invitation link.
Census Workers Needed in Lexington City and Rockbridge County
Birthdays for the week of May 17
John Dickerson (5/17) Emily Hellwig (5/18) Joan Crawford (5/20)