We are grateful to Julia Littlefield for her faithful service as our Parish UTO (United Thank Offering) Coordinator, during the past sixteen year. Julia would now like to offer this rewarding opportunity to another parishioner.
Responsibilities include the following:
· telling the UTO story -(the simple beginnings of women's influence in the life of the Church in the 1800s, when they were asked to help fund domestic and foreign mission)
· prepare for Ingatherings twice a year (speak and/or write out the importance of not only financial support to UTO, but also individual daily prayers of thanksgiving for God's blessings)
· coordinate the dates of the Ingatherings with the Rector
· encourage use of the Blue Box, which is the symbol of the "outward sign of the inward grace" given us daily through the Holy Spirit (our parish bookkeeper completes accounting for the checks parishioners contribute from the contents of their Blue Box)
· help promote an increase in the number of participants
Julia is ready to turn over the UTO guidebook that provides complete information, including " ideas how to inspire people to thank God daily for blessings and take that very moment to think of and act upon the Blue Box." A file in the Resource Room contains pamphlets, boxes and envelopes for use before Ingatherings.
The rewards of serving as Parish UTO Coordinator, as Julia describes them:
"I have enjoyed this opportunity to support the mission of UTO and have found many examples of the spiritual aspect of thanksgiving from various sources outside of the UTO handbook -- specific blessings shared by friends in the church and even news articles about faith in the
Richmond Times Dispatch
or elsewhere -- to remind us of the need for thanking God and also other people for their generosity and kindnesses to others. Our Sunday worship reminds us that it is right always and everywhere to give praise and thanks to God. The Blue Box is simply an extension of that inward grace."
Contact Julia at
or (540) 463-7954 for more information if you are interested in carrying on the UTO mission.