Pass / No Pass Policy for Fall 2020
 P/NP Policy for Fall 2020: 

The deadline for students to select the pass/no pass (P/NP) grade mode option for a full-term course is extended to November 20, 2020. Deadline for short-term courses may vary. Not sure when the P/NP deadline is for your class? Check this list of important dates for all courses: 

NOTE: This option applies only to courses that currently allow students to select a P/NP grading option. Courses that are only allowed a letter grade option cannot be taken for P/NP. Check your course syllabus or the college catalog to determine if your course can be taken for P/NP. 

Requests for the P/NP grade option are considered final. Grade options will not be reverted back to letter grade once your request has been processed. For this reason, STUDENTS ARE HIGHLY ENCOURAGED TO MEET WITH A COUNSELOR prior to submitting their P/NP request form. You can schedule a counseling appointment at

Requests from students to change the grade mode after November 20, 2020 will require a petition that will be reviewed for consideration on case-by-case basis.  

Excused Withdrawals for Fall 2020
EW (Excused Withdrawal) for Fall 2020:

Updates have been considered per CCCCO Executive Order 2020-10 of March 20, 2020, Section 55024(e) (1). An EW can be assigned to a student for reasons due to the COVID-19 pandemic.  

EW requests DURING THE TERM: During the term, withdrawals resulting in an EW can be assigned if approved by the Vice President of Student Services or Dean of Student Services. Approval of an EW during the term will be considered for students facing extenuating circumstances due to the Covid-19 pandemic or natural disaster, or other criteria under which and EW can be assigned. To be recommended for an EW during the term, a counselor or instructor will need to submit the CARE incident report and explicitly state why they are recommending you (the student) for an EW during the term. 

EW requests AFTER-TERM (Petition for EW after the term ends): Students will have the option to petition for an EW after the term ends and grades are posted. All students must meet with a counselor prior to submitting an EW petition.  

Students interested in pursuing this option will need to submit a petition along with documentation of extenuating circumstances due to the COVID-19 pandemic or natural disaster or other criteria under which and EW can be assigned. Submission of a petition does not guarantee approval of the EW request.  

If the EW petition is approved, the appropriate instructor(s) and Division Dean will be contacted to submit a completed grade change form.   

Refunds for Fall 2020
The refund deadline for full term courses was Sunday, September 13, 2020. The refund deadline for short-term courses vary depending on the course. Not sure when the refund deadline is for your class? Check this list of important dates for all courses

Students can still request a withdrawal and/or refund as part of the current petition process. The refunding of funds would be based on the petition process that is in place at both colleges, and which may or may not result in an EW grade notation. The petition form can be found here:  

NOTE: A withdrawal does not automatically result in a refund to the student.   

The deadline to request a drop with W for full-term courses is November 20, 2020. Drop deadlines can vary depending on the course. Not sure when the drop deadline is for your class? Check out this list of important dates for all courses

Key Points to Consider

EW Potential Impact on Financial Aid: In general, the EW is not punitive for students, and does not count in repeat or GPA calculations (an EW notation will appear on student transcripts). However, there is the potential for negative impact for financial aid and VA students if an EW is assigned. Students are advised to consult with the Financial Aid office or the VA Certifying Official before requesting an EW to understand the implications.  

An approval of an EW does not automatically result in a refund of fees. 
Please contact Admissions & Records via Cranium Café or by email at or Counseling Department if you have any questions. Contact information for Counseling can be found at