The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) and U.S. Department of Defense have announced a CDC partnership with pharmacy providers. The announcement, issued Friday, outlines how pharmacies can participate in the “Pharmacy Partnership for Long-Term Care Program.”
According to the announcement, once a COVID-19 vaccine has been approved and authorized for use, pharmacy providers may be eligible to provide COVID-19 vaccination services in long-term care (LTC) settings, including skilled nursing facilities (SNF), nursing homes, assisted living facilities, residential care homes and adult family homes.
It is important to note that the program is voluntary, free of charge and only applies to LTC facilities. While the partnership names CVS and Walgreens specifically, the program is not limited to them.
LTC facilities interested in participating in this FREE program must sign-up online through the NHSN portal and indicate pharmacy preference. Assisted living facilities will indicate their pharmacy preference through an online sign-up form. The program provider agreement can be found here.
LTC facilities may choose to either partner with CVS, Walgreens or their existing long-term care pharmacy by selecting one of the following options:
- Free on-site clinic(s) held by our existing pharmacy partner, if possible.
- The existing pharmacy partner name will have to be filled in. A note on the form says that "In the event your existing pharmacy partner is unable to obtain a vaccine or host free on-site clinic(s), please select a contingency option below (CVS, Walgreens or opt-out).
- Free on-site clinic(s) held by CVS.
- Free on-site clinic(s) held by Walgreens.
- Our facility would like to opt out of receiving these services. We plan to receive vaccine and provide vaccination services in another way.
Note that forms must be completed by October 29, 11:59 p.m.
MPA recommends that LTC pharmacy providers wishing to provide COVID-19 vaccination services proactively reach out to the LTC facilities they serve as soon as possible to facilitate the completion of the sign-up forms.