History of the Fire Station:
After the devastation of the Fire of 1908 and much debate, the newly reorganized Titan City Fire Department elected to build its headquarters in Alexandria, though not in the Library District where the fire was turned back at the Central Library. Instead, it was constructed in the north of the district, in the neighborhood now known as “Pharos.” Construction began in 1915 and was not completed for another five years due to innovations in the design. Most notably, city officials proposed a combination weather/alert beacon to be built into the structure. The fire department ultimately agreed, and the fire station was completed in 1920. Notably, it was the first large city building to be fully wired for electricity. Wisely, the architects included far more space than the 1915 department needed, realizing that the city and thus the department's needs would continue to grow.