Summer Safety IQ Test
You are at a neighborhood barbecue. Your youngster gets into some tiki torch fluid and you think he might have swallowed some. Is this dangerous?
A. No, it's just a clear liquid.
B. It depends on how old your child is.
C. Yes. It can easily get into the lungs and cause pneumonia. This could be fatal.
Drinking tiki torch fluid is dangerous. The same is true of other petroleum-based liquids (hydrocarbons) like gasoline, kerosene, paint thinner, baby oil, lamp oil, furniture polish, charcoal lighter fluid, etc. When you swallow these and other hydrocarbons, they can easily go down the wrong way and get into your lungs. Only a small amount can cause pneumonia within a few hours. The liquid also spreads out over the inner surface of your lungs, preventing oxygen from entering your blood stream. Tiki torch fluid and other hydrocarbons MUST be stored in their original child-resistant containers, locked out of sight and reach of children. When you use these products, do not put them down where children can reach them; immediately lock them away when you're done. If someone has swallowed tiki torch fluid, or other possible poisons, call us at
DO NOT MAKE YOUR CHILD VOMIT. Inducing vomiting can lead to life-threatening injuries.