WILDFIRES WAKE-UP CALL
I have always admired my dog's ability to intuit the urgency of my command, "Let's rock!". Instantly he would appear at the front door, nose to the jamb, tail wagging at high speed, eager for his next adventure whatever that may be. If only we could be so ready to leave when the next emergency strikes!
Our hearts go out to everyone affected by the recent North Bay wildfires. There are no words to adequately convey the sorrow we collectively feel for those affected by this horrific disaster. In light of this tragedy, I have given much thought to what might be useful, should I have to flee at a moment's notice.
1. SET YOURSELF UP FOR EMERGENT ALERTS BY TEXTING: 888-777
- Send a blank text to this number.
- You will receive a reply requesting your zip-code
- After providing it, you will begin to receive emergent alerts and information pertaining to your local community.
PACK 2 GRAB-&-GO BAGS: 1 FOR YOURSELF + 1 FOR YOUR PET
Like a gym bag, these should be at the ready in the event you must evacuate immediately. What might be irreplaceable and what would you need at a minimum in the immediate future pending re-entry to your home (if that is indeed an option)?
- iPhone charger
- Eyewear (glasses, sunglasses, contacts, solution)
- Fully-stocked toiletry kit (including sunscreen)
- Scarf/bandana for face protection in firestorm
- Cotton gloves
- Small wallet w/cash (ATMs may be inoperable, banks closed)
- Extra set of keys
- Change of clothing + extra sets of underwear
- Sturdy shoes
- Duplicate copies of important documents covered in plastic*
* Keep an extra copy of SOME important documents in a safety deposit box, preferably within the vault of a federally-insured bank.
Your pet will need:
- Pet carrier (w/towel)
- Food (a portable amount)
- 2 collapsable bowls
- Collar & lead (for cats too)
HOME STOCKPILE (Ideally kept in an easily-moved plastic container
- Non-perishable foods (e.g., nuts, crackers, canned food, granola)
- Water galore (1 gallon/person per day x 3-5 days minimum)
- First-Aid kit w/scissors
- Flashlights with working batteries (keep 1 by every bedside)
- Pet food & supplies
- Toilet paper
- Portable radio w/working batteries
DOUBLE-CHECK YOUR HOME INSURANCE COVERAGE