U.S. Virgin Islands, July 27, 2021 — The Community Foundation of the Virgin Islands (CFVI) is pleased to announce that it has awarded more than $336,000 in summer program grants to 25 USVI organizations to support a variety of programs serving children and older youth throughout the territory.
Of the total, more than $137,000 was distributed throughout the St. Thomas/St. John district and more than $152,000 on St. Croix. In addition, $47,000 was designated for territory-wide programs.
Funding priority was focused on applicants who were able to demonstrate the ability to serve children of lower-income families, essential workers, and other families experiencing COVID-related challenges.
"While virtual, in-person, and hybrid programming were all considered, we are pleased to announce that a majority of the summer programs and camps receiving funding were able to find safe ways to serve children in a full-day in-person format," said CFVI President, Dee Baecher-Brown. "Ultimately, that was our hope all along, especially given how much the pandemic has disrupted and changed everything over the past year or so," she said.
Organizations were able to apply for funding to support operational costs and/or costs associated with providing scholarships for students. Grants ranged from $1,500 for scholarships up to $29,812 for operational costs.
Below is a list of the organizations that received a grant from CFVI for 2021 summer youth programs:
- Align Community, Inc.
- All Saints Cathedral School
- Antilles School - scholarships
- Boys and Girls Clubs of St. Thomas/St. John
- Caribbean Museum Center for the Arts
- Center for Educational Growth
- Community Action Now
- Community R.E.S.T.O.R.E., Inc.
- Crucian Heritage and Nature Tourism (CHANT)
- Education Connections VI
- Golden Age Ranch Horse Sanctuary
- Island Therapy Solutions - scholarships
- Leap and Learn Academy
- Marine Vocational Program
- My SISTAHS Keeper
- Personal Success Network - scholarships
- Project Promise
- Saints Peter & Paul Catholic School - scholarships
- St. Croix Environmental Association
- St. Croix Montessori School
- St. John Revolving Fund (as fiscal sponsor for NEGUS Education World Specialists) - scholarships
- St. Thomas Reformed Church
- The Leader's Branch, Inc.
- University of the Virgin Islands - School of Education Inclusive Child Care Lab and Diagnostic Center
- University of the Virgin Islands
- Urban Strategies, Inc.
This funding was made possible by support from the following CFVI Donor-Advised and Field of Interest Funds, Fiscal Sponsorships and grants to CFVI: Alexander A. Farrelly Milestone Fund, Baebler Family Fund, Building Forward Fund, Carambola Beach Resort & Spa Hospitality & Tourism Fund, Freedom Schools of the VI Fiscal Sponsorship, Hulsman Family Fund, Lana Vento Charitable Trust Fund, Liberty Foundation Grant, Lou Ellen Brown Disabled Children's Fund, and the TEAM Community Development Fund.