U.S. Virgin Islands, June 2, 2022 — The Community Foundation of the Virgin Islands (CFVI) is pleased to announce that, in partnership with the USVI Office of the Governor, CFVI has awarded $1.425 million in Education Stabilization Fund (ESF) grants to educational agencies, institutions of higher education, and other education-related entities in the St. Thomas/St. John district. The funding is allocated to provide emergency assistance as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic.
CFVI was asked by the USVI Office of the Governor to assist in identifying eligible sub-grantees for the ESF federal funding in the St. Thomas/St. John district as part of the American Rescue Plan (ARP) Act of 2021. Grantees were selected through a competitive process and were awarded funds to carry out emergency educational services to students, provide childcare and early childhood education, give social and emotional support, and protect education-related jobs.
Funding will support the efforts to provide safer, in-person learning opportunities for students; to support students’ social, emotional, mental health, and academic needs; to address educational inequities exacerbated by the pandemic; to address the academic impact of lost instructional time; and to support technology infrastructure and professional development training to improve capacity and provide comprehensive distance education.
All applications were reviewed by an evaluation committee composed of community members with experience and expertise in education and grantmaking.
ESF Grant Recipients
- Beautiful Dreamers: $100,000
- Friends of Virgin Islands National Park: $81,259
- Gifft Hill School: $100,000
- Grace Ministries: $50,000
- Humane Society of St. Thomas: $3,398
- Marine Vocational Program, Inc.: $65,000
- Partners for Strings, Inc.: $100,000
- Salvation Army of the USVI: $78,096
- St. John Christian Academy (Cruz Bay Baptist Church): $66,000
- St. Thomas Reformed Church: $71,444
- The University of the Virgin Islands (3 grants): $300,000
- Virgin Islands Children's Museum: $159,005
- Virgin Islands Montessori School and International Academy: $100,000
- Virgin Islands Village Academy, Inc.: $100,000
- Youth Arise, Inc.: $50,798