For Immediate Release

Maryland Alliance of Public Charter Schools Awarded $28.7M Charter Schools Program Grant for Public Charter Schools

September 28, 2023


Baltimore, MD— The U.S. Department of Education has awarded Maryland Alliance of Public Charter Schools (MAPCS) a $28.7-million, 5-year Charter Schools Program grant to address the growing demand for high-quality public charter schools in Maryland by delivering 4,200 new seats statewide. The newly awarded Charter Schools Program (CSP) will enable MAPCS to pass through 90% of the Federal funds to eligible charter school applicants, providing subgrants to open new charter schools and/or replicate and expand charter schools. The remaining 10 percent of grant money will go to technical assistance programming and the cost of administering the grant. MAPCS is one of only a few organizations nationally to receive this grant, and its impact on the future of public charter schools in Maryland will be substantial.


"We are thrilled to build on the momentum generated by Maryland’s former five-year, $17 million charter school program grant,” shared McKenzie Allen, Executive Director of MAPCS. “This CSO grant will leverage public charter success in support of Maryland’s signature investment in public education (the Blueprint for Maryland's Future). We are excited to expand our charter work to ensure an excellent public education for every child in Maryland."

About Maryland Public Charter Schools

Charter Schools are free, public, and open to all students residing in the district where the public charter school is authorized. Public charter schools have the freedom to innovate while being held accountable for student improvement and achievement. All Maryland public charter schools are operated by not-for-profit entities, with teaching staff as union members. Online-only schools are not permitted. Charter schools are public schools that offer parents the opportunity to select a school that best fits their child’s needs. Currently, there are 49 public charter schools in 7 Maryland counties, serving nearly 24,000 students.

About the Maryland Alliance of Public Charter Schools

The Maryland Alliance of Public Charter Schools (“MAPCS”) is a nonpartisan, nonprofit statewide organization with a mission to promote and serve the Maryland charter school movement. Our goals are to promote equitable and transparent conditions for public charter schools. We offer support to new and existing public charter schools through online workshops, onsite visits, and yearlong counsel; and drive the discussion around innovative educational practices that lead to positive outcomes for students. For more information about the Maryland Alliance of Public Charter Schools, please visit

Connect with us!
Facebook  Twitter