Updates related to our facilities and operations
Access to City facilities
City Hall Remains Closed to Public*
Neighborhood Development Services
team will be accessible to the public needing to conduct essential business with that department and through the Market Street entrance to City Hall only. The office will be open to the public from 8 a.m. -12 p.m. on Tuesdays and Thursdays (with permit intake until 11 a.m.). Customers can reach NDS at (434) 970-3182. There will be no one-on-one in person consultations at this time.
NEW! Parks & Recreation Amenities and Play Structures
Parks and trails remain open; however,
playgrounds are now closed
. Additionally, a reminder that the Charlottesville Skate Park and Meadowcreek Golf Course are closed even though they are outdoor facilities. We encourage people to refrain from using Park Playgrounds, the Skate Park or Meadowcreek Golf Course while closed.
Clerk of Circuit Court
- Remains CLOSED to walk-in customers. TIME IS OF THE ESSENCE matters may be addressed BY APPOINTMENT ONLY by contacting Llezelle A. Dugger, the Clerk of Court, at
or 434-970-3764. Email requests are preferred.
Visit this web page
for a complete list of departments with altered schedules and resources (e.g. Courts, CAT, Parks & Recreation, Police, Social Services).
Department of Utilities
- Beginning Monday, March 23rd, Utilities field technicians will begin operating on a rotating basis, to limit the risk of exposure to themselves and the community. Additionally, when customers contact the Utility Billing Office for service appointments, they can expect brief preliminary questions regarding their current health and potential exposure to the virus. When field technicians arrive at a customer’s home, they can expect that the technician may be wearing appropriate personal protective equipment. This equipment may be used when performing certain services that require the technician to enter the interior of the home. The field technician will request that everyone follow CDC best practices for appropriate social distancing. Please know that these measures are not meant to alarm anyone, but are intended as extra precautions to protect the community as well as Utilities personnel.
Public Works (Specifically Trash & Recycling)
- At this time, the City’s trash and recycling service continues to operate on its normal schedule with the following minor adjustments:
- If an Annual Decal is needed, please visit www.charlottesville.org/treasurer to print and fill out the application. The application and payment may be placed in the drop boxes located between the Annex and Key Rec, on 7th Street NE or in the 6th Street alley. Alternatively, the application/payment can be mailed to PO Box 2854, Charlottesville, VA 22902. A trash decal will then be mailed to your address.
- Single use stickers are temporarily unavailable at City Hall. Please visit the various retailers listed on our website www.charlottesville.org/trash who sell individual stickers.
- Large Item Collection will be temporarily suspended until further notice.