This Miakka School House was built in 1914 by J.B. Rogers for $1,390. It was the first school in Manatee County to be built using school bonds authorized by the Legislature of 1913. This area was part of Manatee County until 1921.
The two acres of land surrounding the school house were deeded to the county school board on July 23,1914 by Augustus M. and Calidonia Wilson. 'Gus' Wilson represented Manatee County in the State Legislatures of 1913 and 1915. He was postmaster of Miakka, served as tax assessor, census enumerator, and as a member of the school board for eight years.
Professor Lee Hall was hired for $55 a month when the building was completed. Teachers generally resided with the families in the community. School was in session only five months a year, as pupils were needed at home to help with family crops and other chores.
The Miakka School was disbanded around 1944 and pupils were sent to other schools. Jasper Crowley, who served from 1933 to 1944, was the much loved teacher at that time.
On July 3, 1986, The Miakka School was officially listed in the National Register of Historic Places."