Dear Oyster Adams Families,
Updated! OA Celebrates BHM
February is Black History Month! Thank you to everyone who joined us for the cooking class today! Up next, we have our Superhero Black Panther Panel: Let’s Talk Black Panther. OA students, parents and faculty will discuss and break down this iconic movie one ounce of Vibranium at a time!
Check out the details here.
Friday, February 26, 2021
New! Reopening Update
This week we accomplished the following:
- Hosted our third round of weekly PK4 outdoor play dates
- Expanded am and pm groups to the 2A/2B grade exploratory play with Mr. Benson and Mr. White
- Expanded am and pm groups to the outdoor socio-emotional learning support for students in 6th and 8th with Srta. Morales, Ms. Foley and Srta. Mazier
- 5th-grade parent townhall about possibilities to expand in-person offering
Coming up next:
- Launch a new 6th grade CARES class with Srta. Vargas
- Launch of 1st grade exploratory play with Mrs. McKillop
- Launch of 2A/2B exploratory play with Ms. Druelinger and Sra. Berrocal
Updated! Are there any seats left?
We anticipate all 13 of our in-person cohorts to be closed by next week. For the full data set of the offer made thus far, please click here.
- Total OA Student Population (TOASP): 732
- % of Offers of TOASP: 46%
- Total offers made: 335
Total in-person learning seats available: 131 (not including ELS, 40 Pk for expeditionary learning or any of the outdoor learning pilots)
# of accepted seats: 124 (37% acceptance rate)
- # of declined seats: 204 (61% decline rate)
# of seats currently pending (Parents have 48 hours to decide): 7 (2%)
The following classes are now closed:
- ELS 3-5-year-olds with Mrs. Towns and Srta. Medina
- Kinder IPL with Sra. Ambrosio and Sra. Fuentes
- 1st grade IPL with Ms. Ventura and Mr. Smee
- 2nd grade CARES with Mr. White and Srta. Cairo
- 3rd grade IPL with Ms. Colton and Srta. Ortiz
- 4th grade IPL with Sr. Carrasco and Srta. Ferrufino
- 4th/5th combo CARES with Srta. Elvira
- 6th/7th IPL with Sra. Panama
Updated! Term 3 Supplies Kit Distribution (Feb. 22-26)
Given this week’s inclement weather, we are extending Term 3 supplies distribution through next week. Term 3 supplies kits will be available for pickup at your child’s school (Oyster: PK4-3rd, Adams: 4th-8th) from Monday, February 22-Friday, February 26 from 9 am - 3 pm.
New! Picture Day (Mar. 5 & 10)
- Oyster campus (Cafeteria)
Friday, Mar. 5 (9 am - 3 pm) or Wednesday, Mar. 10 (1 pm - 4 pm)
Sign up for a timeslot: pickatime.com/vos/oyster
Note: PK4-3rd grade students in IPL and/or CARES classes will take their pictures at school on Wednesday, Mar. 10 from 9 am - 12 pm, so parents do not need to sign up for a timeslot.
Friday, Mar. 5 (9 am - 3 pm) or Wednesday, Mar. 10 (1 pm - 4 pm)
Sign up for a timeslot: pickatime.com/vos/adams
Note: 4th-8th grade students in IPL and/or CARES classes will take their pictures at school on Wednesday, Mar. 10 from 9 am - 12 pm, so parents do not need to sign up for a timeslot.
Please note: Due to Covid-19 guidelines, walk-ins will not be accepted at this time.
All individuals including school staff, VOS photography staff, students and family members will be expected to wear facial coverings and adhere to physical distancing guidelines.
Parents wishing to purchase a picture package will have the opportunity to do so online after they sign up for a time and after picture day (Oyster: vosphoto.com/oyster, Adams: vosphoto.com/adams). Paper picture orders will not be accepted at the camera. All picture packages will be delivered via USPS shipping to a home address.
New! Panorama Survey (Feb. 22 - Mar. 19)
For the last 4 years, DCPS has asked parents and students to take 10-15 minutes to fill out the Panorama Survey. The parent and student surveys are not only critical to providing feedback to DCPS Central Office, but also our school administration as well. The window for the Panorama survey will open on Monday, Feb. 22. Both virtual and in-person students will complete the survey in class. If you would like for your child to opt-out of the survey, please complete the Panorama survey opt-out form (English or Spanish) and email it to Zaneta Han at firstname.lastname@example.org. For the parent survey, we ask that you go to bit.ly/dcpsfamily to access and complete the survey by the Friday, Mar. 19 deadline.
New! Parent-Teacher Conferences
For students in grades PK4-5th, parent-teacher conferences will be hosted on Friday, March 5 and Wednesday, March 10.
For students in grades 6th-8th, parent-teacher conferences will be held on Friday, March 5 and Wednesday, March 17.
Your student’s teacher will reach out to you with more information in regards to scheduling a date and time.
New! Aspen Parent Portal Requests
New! Track Coaches Needed for ES (4th/5th grade) & MS (6th-8th grade)
The 2020-2021 track season will run from mid-March to June 1, 2021. We are in need of 3-6 coaches (2-3 coaches for ES and MS track). If you’re interested or know someone who is, including current college students and/or recent college graduates, please contact Stuart Logan at 202-213-8309 or email@example.com
Unfortunately, Oyster-Adams students will not be able to participate in track this school year if we don’t have coaches.
- No coaching or track experience is required but coaches should be healthy enough to run with the team from the Adams campus to Rock Creek Park, where the practices will occur.
- All coaches must be certified in CPR/AED/First Aid via one hands-on (not online) half-day or shorter class.
- You will also need to be fingerprinted/background-checked and satisfy a few additional requirements. We will help you with everything.
- All practices will be conducted outdoors using Covid-safe practices.
- Two coaches for each middle school team will be eligible to receive modest stipends as will one coach for each elementary school team. Coaches do not have to accept the stipends.
New! OCC Committees
We need your ideas. We need your ideas and talents to make Oyster-Adams better for everyone! Please consider volunteering or nominating someone else to serve on one of the OCC's new working groups. Each group will be composed of both Board members and OA parents.
- OCC Organization and Recruitment
- OCC Finances
- Communications and Community Engagement
New! Summer Basketball Camps for Girls:
St. John’s College High School/HoopE
For girls in rising grades 3-8
Dates: July 19-23, 2021 AND July 26 - 30, 2021
Maret High School
For girls in rising grades 6-10
Dates: July 26 - 30, 2021
Reminder! SY20-21 Yearbook (Pictures Needed!)
Despite how crazy of a school year it has been, we are going to do our best to make sure we remember it through our 2020-2021 school yearbook, but we need your help! Please submit pictures of your students learning virtually in the SY20-21 Yearbook Pictures Google folder, under the appropriate grade-level folder.
Join HER Initiative for a run/walk anytime between March 13-21. To register, click this link and pay the $15 registration fee by February 26. Proceeds will go to The Oyster Adams COVID Relief Fund to help support our community during this difficult time.