- On West Lake Blvd. south of Fanny Bridge near the McClintock Accountancy building, storm drainage installation and grading will occur during the day time hours. No lane closures.
- Day and night work will occur on the new roundabout east of the Caltrans Maintenance Yard along SR 89 heading into Tahoe City from Truckee. Irrigation and work on the new gateway monument sign is occurring in addition to curb and gutter work, drainage inlet installation, and some pavement grinding.
- NOTE: Night work and early morning work with lane closures may occur.
- Lane closures are only allowed from 8 p.m. to 9 a.m.
- Night work occurs during the week only. You may experience one-way traffic controls 10 p.m. Sunday to 9 a.m. Monday, and 7 p.m. to 9 a.m. Monday through Friday.
- Within the project area, expect possible delays on West Lake Blvd. south of Fanny Bridge and along SR 89 in and out of Tahoe City near the Caltrans Maintenance Yard.
Please see images below.
Additional Important Updates
- Completion of the SR 89 realignment, the new Truckee River Bridge, and the two roundabouts on either end of the realignment (one on West Lake Blvd. and the other east of the Caltrans Maintenance Yard on SR 89 heading into Tahoe City from Truckee) is scheduled for the end of 2019.
- Constructing another bridge over the Truckee River (new Truckee River Bridge) was a critical safety goal of the project to ensure two egresses and ingresses from the west shore of Lake Tahoe.
- Work at the Tahoe City Wye may start after August 2019.
- The rebuild of Fanny Bridge will not take place during the 2019 construction season, nor will the construction of the roundabout at the wye in Tahoe City.
Construction Contractor Update
In October 2016, Federal Highway Administration/Central Federal Lands Highway Division awarded the construction contract to Martin Brothers Construction with a goal to complete the project the summer of 2018. For a variety of reasons from weather to utilities to construction scheduling, the project has not progressed as expected.
In an effort to ensure completion of the project, the Project Lead Agency for Construction* has decided to terminate part of the construction contract with Martin Brothers Construction splitting the balance of the project into a future contract with another contractor.
This decision has the support of the Project Delivery Team* who is committed to complete the project as permitted and as determined through the extensive public process.
At this time the balance of project elements to be constructed will go out to bid in 2020 with a completion date of 2021.
- Expect up to 20-minute delays in the project area
- Traffic controls will include:
- Normal temporary lane closures utilizing flaggers with a maximum 20-minute delay
- Flaggers located at parking lot entrances to allow access
- No blocked businesses
- At the West Roundabout (near the Caltrans Maintenance Yard) K-Rail placement with reduced lane widths to 11-ft – same configuration as last year
- Shared-Use Paths for Cyclists and Pedestrians:
- Detours will be set
- No paths will be closed
that the completion date of the new Truckee River Bridge, the SR 89 realignment and the two roundabouts on either ends of the new SR 89 realignment will be dependent upon the weather, water levels in the Truckee River, in addition to Martin Brothers Construction, Inc. construction schedule being approved by the Construction Lead Agency,
Federal Highway Administration/Central Federal Lands Highway Division along with approvals and permitting from the TRPA to conduct work.