Department of Water Management Sewer Installation
The Department of Water Management will be installing a new sewer in W. Diversey Parkway (Sheffield-Seminary), in N. Seminary Avenue (Diversey to the alley south), and in N. Kenmore Avenue (Diversey to 500 feet south).
These improvements are needed as the old sewer main dates back to 1885, and needs to be replaced. Further, the area bounded by Diversey on the north, Lincoln on the south, Sheffield on the east, and Seminary on the west will benefit from improved drainage and reduced risk of flooding.
Work is starting on Monday, September 21st and is expected to be completed in late October, however, dates may change depending on weather and other factors.
To perform the sewer installation on Diversey Parkway, the following detour plans will be implemented.
Southbound Sheffield Detour -
Beginning the week of 9/21/15 and extending approximately 2-3 weeks.
- Southbound through traffic on Sheffield Ave. will not be permitted.
- Northbound traffic will be unaffected.
- Traffic will be detoured: West along Belmont Ave. to Racine Ave. - South along Racine Ave. to Lincoln Ave. - Southeast along Lincoln Ave. back to Sheffield Ave.
- Local traffic will be permitted to access side streets and businesses along Sheffield Ave.
Eastbound Diversey Detour -
Beginning upon completion of the work in the Sheffield intersection and lasting approximately 2 months.
- Eastbound through traffic on Diversey Pkwy. will not be permitted.
- Westbound traffic will be unaffected.
- Traffic will be detoured: North along Racine Ave. to Belmont Ave. - East along Belmont Ave. to Lincoln Ave. - South along Sheffield Ave. back to Diversey Pkwy.
- Local traffic will be permitted to access side streets and businesses along Sheffield.
- "No Parking" signage will be posted, as needed, during work hours at varying locations from 7am to 4pm. Residents may park outside of work hours.
Affected locations will always be able to reach homes or businesses. Outside of working hours, a lane will be left open for local traffic only.
We thank you for your patience and understanding as these much-needed infrastructure improvements are completed in our Ward.